Powered by Blogger.

S Is for South Ferry


Welcome to South Ferry!
 
For my absence this week, I plead a case of "SBF", aka Severe Blogger Fatigue. This little known malady -- too many pictures, too many links and way too much time in front of the computer for one brain -- coincided with the arrival of warm weather in New York City, causing said blogger to take to long walks and hours sitting outside and enjoying the soft breezes. I've got remnants of SBF, but I'm ready to resume the A to Z blogging about the subway system. S takes us to South Ferry, at the very southern tip of Manhattan Island. If I enter the subway system at my station at West 86th Street and just stay on the train, I will emerge at the very end of the #1 line in the spot above. It's about as close as I can get to "Beam me up, Scotty."
 
It's been a rough century for the South Ferry station. It was closed from 2001 until 2009 to repair damage from the September 11 attacks. It was then closed again in 2012 due to damage from Hurricane Sandy and reopened last year. This area of Lower Manhattan is at sea level and hurricane storm surge of fifteen + feet did tremendous damage to the subway station and the surrounding area. 
 
 

Directly in front of the subway entrance is the Staten Island Ferry terminal. The ferry runs every half hour during the day and is my favorite way of viewing New York harbor. Going out of Manhattan I like to view the Statue of Liberty. I've done it many times and it has never lost its thrill. On the return trip I like to watch the Brooklyn waterfront. If you visit New York City this ride is a must-do experience.
 
We looked south to the Ferry terminal and now we're looking north to the home of  the first native-born American citizen to be canonized in the Roman Catholic Church, Saint Elizabeth Seton. Canonized in 1975 Saint Elizabeth Seton founded the Sisters of Charity. This was the first congregation of religious sisters founded in the United States.
 
From a very different perspective the chapel and house are viewed
with their Financial District neighbors.

I'm glad to be a recovering blogger and moving ahead with the subway tour. I'm off on a quick four day adventure tomorrow. I hope to share photographs while I'm away and resume with T over the weekend.

As ever, thanks for visiting and enjoy the spring weather.   

14 comments

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

My mother and father were married in Mother Seton Church! My father was in the Army and stationed on Governor's Island at the time. My Mother loved living there after they were married. A ferry ride to the island is also fun to do!

Pondside said...

That sounds like a lovely day. I'm glad you're a recovering blogger!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Despite your SBF, you have given us another good and interesting post.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

This nice weather we've been having tends to take us outside and away from our computers. It just feels heavenly to be out and not freezing. The sunshine is just wonderful. Hope you have fun on your adventure !

Dee said...

Dear Carol, writing a post for my blog always takes at least two hours to get the words right and sometimes more when I need to find photographs. So I can truly appreciate how you can develop SBF. I've never done the A-Z project because of that. So I really admire bloggers who take it on.

I look forward to learning about your four-day adventure! Peace.

Susie said...

Carol, That is an odd juxtaposition of the sweet chapel and sisters house next to the sleek high rise building. I am amazed at all your traveling in the big city . You do so well taking us on this tour...I absolutely love it. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Thanks for another interesting and informative blog post--despite the SBF!

Mevely317 said...

Your visuals are so lovely ... inviting second and even third pauses. Blissfully retired yes, but given the opportunity, I'll bet you'd be first-rate photo journalist.

Chatty Crone said...

I enjoyed this very much - what is a recovering blogger - did I miss something?

TARYTERRE said...

the chapel and house with their Financial District neighbors makes an interesting photograph. enjoyed reading about this.

Nawm D Gerr said...

I love your post! The juxtaposition of the chapel with the modern glass skyscrapers is just one of the many wonderful things to see in NYC. Thank you for your post!

Pam said...

Interesting post. The station has definitely had its share of problems and sounds like all is well now. I bet the harbor view from the ferry is a great sight. I've had my share of blogger fatigue, good to see you posting!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Carol - thanks for your post while away - I have been to this station!