Powered by Blogger.

Q Is for the Q Line

 
One section of Jean Shin's extraordinary "Elevated" at the 63rd Street station on the Q line

One of the things I've most enjoyed working on this year's Blogging from A to Z Challenge is discovering the art in the subway stations. I've long been aware of the work the MTA -- the agency that operates the transit system for New York City and the near suburbs -- does for placing art works in the stations, but with over 470 stations there are many I've never visited. Even for those I've been to previously -- the last post's Prince Street -- I haven't looked especially closely. This project has been a great lesson to me to stop and see the art work.   

"Elevated" reflects the era of the elevated lines of the 1920s to 1950s. The last elevated line on Third Avenue in Manhattan was torn down in 1955 and in the Bronx in 1973.

The Q line in its present service pattern runs from East 96th Street and Second Avenue to Stilwell/Coney Island in Brooklyn. The line began in 1920 and before adding the newly built stations on Second Avenue terminated in Queens. During my years of working in Long Island City, Queens the Q was one of my commuter options.

Another scene from Elevated

I wasn't familiar with Jean Shin's work, but I'm very grateful to Blogging from A to Z for introducing me to this talented artist. If anyone is near Philadelphia, there is an exhibit of her work at the Philadelphia Museum of Art until July 15.
 
The escalator to the subway tracks at the East 86th Street station on the Q. As we saw at the Hudson Yards station the new stations are deep beneath New York City.
 
The art at the 86th Street station features work by the artist Chuck Close. This is "Emma."

I appreciate everyone who has visited this series, commented here, on Facebook or in conversation. One blog friend wrote that she will be sorry to see the end of this series. I will as well. We still have nine more posts and at least 440 more stations in the system. I don't plan to visit all of them, but I will be on the lookout for interesting art for other posts in the future.

I'm joining my friends at Pink Saturday and I hope you will stop by for more weekend enjoyment. The next post takes us downtown, and the hint is the Federalist Papers.

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a spectacular spring Sunday.
  

10 comments

Janet said...

I had a Q-Line in my Q post as well but it was something quite different. I love the artwork.

Janet’s Smiles

Denise said...

Lovely art. Thanks for sharing.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The artwork is fantastic. There is such a lot of detail. I imagine many hurry by on their travels and really don't get a chance to enjoy it. I'm thankful that you could, and did share it with us. Hope you have a relaxing Sunday !

Theresa said...

Beautiful! I love seeing all of the scenes from your city! This artwork is certainly one I am going to search out when I visit:) Hopefully this year I am going to make it up there! Have a blessed day dear Carol, HUGS!

Deborah Weber said...

Oh what fabulous art - such treasures to be found underground! I'm so delighted you're giving us these peeks.

TARYTERRE said...

i love the artwork from "Elevated" reflecting the era of the elevated lines of the 1920s to 1950s. fascinating.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

The art is wonderful and if I pay a visit to our beautiful Philadelphia Museum of Art in the next few months, I will be sure to check that Jean Shin’ s work.

I lived at the end of the Bronx (by Mt Vernon and Yonkers) and often took the El. I did not know that it no longer existed.

Susie said...

Buttercup, I had no idea that the subways there were a type of museum. I love seeing all the tile arts. I love it all. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Marcy said...

Thank you again, so much, for sharing a bit the beautiful artwork in your wonderful city. So many amazing things to see . . . I love the tile work!

JazzFeathers said...

Oh, I love that artwork! There's soemthing particularly charming with art in the subway, I feel. I don't normally travel by subway (there are very few here in Italy and none in my city) but I've been in a few, and there's this particular atmosphere of soemthign bleak, and still there is often art there, being pictorial, or music, or street theatre. I think there is soemthing powerful about it.