Powered by Blogger.

Koala Dreaming on Such a Winter's Day


It's Australia for the Seven Continents

I've loved to travel from the earliest age when my family would take a car trip in the summer in New England. It doesn't seem exotic now, but we spent every spring talking about our next trip. We got into the car with maps and a couple of suitcases and drove to our destination. We had no reservations -- always seemed to find a cabin every night along the way -- and without long lists of restaurants and a lot of planning we enjoyed the trip.

I couldn't have conceived in the 1960s that I'd now be approaching my goal -- much more recently thought of -- of traveling to all seven continents. But if all goes as planned -- I'm counting on you, Air Canada -- I will be landing in Melbourne. Australia on Monday. I've got a few days on my own in Melbourne and at the end of trip in Sydney, but the rest of the time I'm traveling with a group to Alice Springs, Yulara, Cairns and finishing in Sydney. I'm excited and a little anxious. Air travel has gotten so much more complicated since my first flight in 1966 when I wore a dress and heels (really!) and I've gotten a little less agile. But I doubt if I will be more agile if I wait to take the long and complicated trips I want to take.

In the fall of 2016 I thought about places I wanted to visit. Santa Fe, New Mexico and Australia were at the top of my list. I booked my trip for Santa Fe at that time, not knowing that the very well-priced opportunity to visit Antarctica would come along. I ended up visiting Santa Fe in addition to Antarctica. I had no concrete thought of visiting Australia, just knowing I wanted to. Last summer, my friend K and I were talking about places we wanted to travel and for both of us, Australia was at the top of our lists. It's a big splurge, but both the time and the companion fell into place and Melbourne, here I come!

Is there anything else on my list? Of course! I hope to visit all six New England states this year, and in the far distance of sometime -- England, South Dakota and New Zealand. 

Once again, this winter we wait for more snow. Back to boots and hat. As ever, thanks for visiting and keep cozy!
 

11 comments

TARYTERRE said...

have a safe trip. enjoy.

Denise said...

Enjoy your time in Australia. I am getting lazy about traveling in my elder years.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

So excited for you and really looking forward to photos! :)

Donna said...

I am so excited for you Carol! Prayers for safe travels! Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

At least down under it should be summer and you'll get away from the snow and ice! How exciting ! Make sure to take lots of pictures !

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Awesome! Not only are you going to one of the coolest places in the world, (I'm just saying... I've never actually been there, but it's definitely on my dream list) but it WON'T actually be "cool" at all. Or cold. It's bloomin' hot there right now, so enjoy your adventurous respite from winter! I hope it's all you want it to be and more.

Terra said...

You are going to have a fabulous time in Australia. I would love to visit there and also New Zealand and Tasmania. I look forward to hearing about your trip to see all that beautiful varied landscape and animals.

Theresa said...

Oh that sounds like a great trip! Can't wait to follow along:) Have a blessed day, stay safe and warm. HUGS!

Joy Nissen said...

You will have so much fun there, I hope to get there one day too!! My cousin lives in Queensland, so I would love to go visit him!! I missed out when my sisters and brother went in 2016! Have a safe trip!! Can't wait to share it all with you!!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you. Have safe travel and a wonderful time.

Little Wandering Wren said...

I can't promise you a koala but maybe you can meet the crazy poodle!
Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Wren x