Powered by Blogger.

What Are You Reading?

 

For some reason I can't fathom I've had trouble concentrating when I read. Perhaps it's an offshoot to whatever kept me from blogging when I sat at the computer and stared at the screen. I don't feel particularly troubled. I'm sleeping okay, or as okay as a late sixties woman who needs to get up at least once during the night, and I'm getting a lot of exercise. The next choice for my book club is Paulette Jiles' News of the World. It's historical fiction -- a genre a very much enjoy -- it's short and it was a it was a 2016 National Book Award Nominee. I picked it up from the library a few days ago and I'm going to start reading it tomorrow. I'm not going to let it sit on my shelf picking up dust and lose my momentum to complete it. My goal is to finish it by Monday morning and return it to the library before the fines start clicking away.

I'm eager for more recommendations. I looked over the books I especially enjoyed last year and they were non-fiction and some were tough going. But they all held my interest and gave me something to reflect on. What are books you've particularly enjoyed this year?
 

I have kept up with my mystery reading and very much enjoyed Ian Rankin's Rather Be the Devil. One of my favorite detectives of all time, John Rebus, steps back into police work from retirement and the for those who like their mysteries darker, this story is well worth reading. I featured this title last month in Coffee Light and Mysteries (Mostly Noir).

It's been a quiet, but productive few days. I've been focused on reading and writing. I completely finished today's New York Times, did a blog post and caught up on some of my favorite blogs.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Wishes for a wonderful Wednesday.
 

7 comments

Anonymous said...

Nice to know about the books...

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have had trouble lately with following up with things I start. I do things I need to do but am spending less time on things I always enjoyed doing. I need to work on that. I am reading Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krause Rosenthal. My next book is Manhattan Beach which was recommended to me by my sister.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I am always reading. It's a habit for me but I haven't found anything to brag about in quite awhile and am always open to suggestions. I do like historical novels and find it interesting to see the different times through the eyes of another. It's cooler here and rainy so perfect for enjoying a good book.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I am in a book club and we read the following books this year: All the Light We Cannot See, Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker, Killers of the Flower Moon (non fiction about the FBI's first case) A Memory of Violets, The Nest, The Cellist of Sarajevo, and a Maeve Binchey book called Whitethorn Woods. I can't say any of these books were the best I ever read but they kept my interest enough to finish them snd they were certainly different genres. I find it hard to find a book that thrills me like the old classics did back in the day. I wonder if it has something to do with age? There is a good book blog I read called Modern Mrs Darcy that often haz good book recommendation and discussions.

Mevely317 said...

Funny you say that, Carol. When my world 'fell apart' in 2013 and in the months following I found myself unable to focus. Oh, I've dabbled here and there ... but nothing like the avid reader I was. Only last week another blogger recommended something out of my wheelhouse/comfort zone, and I think I'm going to enjoy it: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.

I love recommendations from my blogger friends!

Paula said...

I am a mystery/thriller fan! I look forward to winter so I can settle into my chair and read more.

TARYTERRE said...

i have been unable to finish two books i started. so i'm no good for a recommendation right now. but i wish you luck.