Powered by Blogger.

I Get by With a Little Help from my (Geek Squad) Friends


I had three goals for the summer. The first was to start physical therapy. Check. The second was to join a gym and get into a good exercise habit. Check. The third was to buy a computer. This last issue put me into a complete tailspin.

Should I buy a PC? Should I buy a Mac? Could I set up the Mac? Could I learn to use it? I went back and forth a thousand times. I visited the Apple store and Best Buy a dozen times. I read articles and talked with friends. Everyone had a different opinion. The more I researched the more confused I became. At the same time my desktop computer was freezing more and more. I knew I had to do something before it crashed completely and I was in a difficult situation of my own making.

Last Friday I walked into Best Buy for the nth time "just to look," and I walked out with a new computer. It's an all-in-one, sort of a combination tablet and pc. It has the capability to be a desktop and it has the capability to be a touch screen. There's still a lot I have to learn, but I am happy to say I am typing this post on my new computer.

I am also working at my dining room table. My new computer just needs WiFi and to be plugged in to an outlet, and with one exception I was able to do the set up. I initially wasn't able to get the keyboard and the mouse working, but after 43 minutes with customer service I was told to go back to the store and make sure there were no problems with the keyboard, mouse or batteries. There was a problem. I had put the batteries into the mouse batteries incorrectly.  But the Geek Squad staff person couldn't have been nicer and the diagram for the battery installation was teeny-tiny. I'm now very happily typing and mousing.

My next goal is to get a new printer and an external hard drive to store my photographs. I plan to do both next week and then I will devote my former computer space to a craft area. It will be great to have a place to make cards that isn't my dining room table. This has been a goal for the last year and I am thrilled to be so close.

I had a lot of plans for today and top of the list was setting up my computer. It took most of the day, but I will move ahead on everything else tomorrow.

As always thanks for visiting and take good care. 

13 comments

Lynda said...

Excellent!!!! The decision-making process is always the most work of any project. You sound like you got the best of all worlds though with the tablet that is also a PC and can have a keyboard and mouse. I am like you in that I don't like to type on the screen either - - not as easy or fast. I am very proud of you. I sure hope you do well finding your printer, too. You will enjoy having good equipment at home.

Sola Scriptura said...

I'm clueless about electronics. It's amazing I'm online at all.
Well, I'm off to eat some chocolate, drink some Irish Cream coffee and finish a novel.
Take Care!
Lauren

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Congrats on your new computer. I have a laptop that sits in the kitchen most days here and no longer use my computer desk either. I don't know why, but I never considered using it for a crafting station. Thanks for giving me that great idea. Now I just have to clear all the clutter off that has accumulated there !

Maggid said...

Excellent Stuff . . CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Theresa said...

Good for you dear friend! I know that you will be a whiz at using the new computer before you know it:) Enjoy your day, HUGS!

Kerin said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you are happy with the new computer, and that you are able to have a craft space to boot :)

Smiles :)
Kerin

Nellie said...

Huge congratulations to you for making this new endeavor successful! Technology can sometimes drive me up a wall!:-)

Susie said...

Buttercup, Wish I had my very own geek. LOL. Hope you love your new computer. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Catherine said...

Dear Carol, I am not very tech savvy
at all. I am happy that you checked off your goals!! Great!!
Getting a new computer and setting it up is too much for me to tackle. Thank goodness my son and daughter know how to handle these issues.
I am happy that the Geek squad was nice and helpful.
Blessings dear. Catherine

Barb said...

Hi Carol, Getting new electronics is both nervewracking and exhilarating! I researched endlessly before buying my new camera. Hope you are liking the new computer. I switched to all Apple products about 4 years ago. I like having my phone, iPad, and laptop synced. What did we do before computers and digital cameras? Have fun with your new toy.

Melinda said...

Enjoy your new toy!
Sounds like you did a great job researching.

Have fun.

M :)

TARYTERRE said...

Enjoy your new computer, now that the decision has been made.

Terra said...

I am proud of you for setting up your new computer, mostly on your own. I have never tried that and rely on my husband. You done good, girl!