Powered by Blogger.

Autumn (with Friends) in New York

Autumn actually arrived in New York City yesterday morning. Though the official arrival was almost two weeks ago it was still really summer. But yesterday was different. My apartment felt very unfamiliar in the morning and I realized that odd feeling was a chill. It was 47 degrees outside. Autumn had come to town and made its presence known.

It was the perfect day to spend with my friends Sheilagh and Ralph who were visiting from England. We started with brunch at Willow Road in Chelsea and had a lovely, leisurely meal. The building is a converted Nabisco factory and the decor is a mix of nostalgia and hipness. I especially liked this mural.



We also liked the cinnamon rolls a lot, too. We had a great brunch of eggs, biscuits and pimento cheese, and a fabulous apple cobbler for dessert.

I may have to return for another brunch of cinnamon rolls and the great coffee at Willow Road. 

Though I rarely take pictures of myself I couldn't resist this photo. This is probably the only good selfie I've ever taken. No saggy chin, the bane of selfies for those of us past our twenties. 



We had a wonderful sunny autumn walk through Manhattan -- Chelsea, the Meatpacking District and the West Village. I especially enjoyed our stop at The Ink Pad, a store devoted to stamping and paper crafts. I've gotten away from crafting and card making in the last few months and this got me back in the spirit. My goal is to make my Christmas cards this year and I bought the stamp and dark green ink. 

The Ink Pad had an extraordinary treasure trove of stamps. I was tempted at every turn and will definitely need to make a return visit.  

It was a perfect day, with brunch, craft shop, Whole Foods, book store browsing and walking through Manhattan. With all of our activity the best part was simply spending time with friends, talking and laughing. Sheilagh and I met through our blogs and have kept up through the last five years.  Thanks, friends, for a wonderful day and here's to many more good times. 

Today has been much less exciting. After Yom Kippur and my wonderful day as a tourist yesterday it was time for a return to whatever passes for normal. Today's highlights were Clean the Kitchen Monday and grocery shopping, some bill paying and a little decluttering. 

As always thanks for visiting and have a beautiful autumn Monday! 

12 comments

TARYTERRE said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your friends. My heart be still. I have never seen so many stamps in one place. It looks like a delightful store. I love to make my own cards from time to time too.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

It sounds like you had a nice fall weekend. I will have to check out the restaurant. Enjoy your week.
Julie

Linda said...

Oh how fun! I have to laugh about the saggy chin...yeah...hmm...way past 20 here, lol. Buttercup, you always take lovely pics, even of yourself. Thanks for sharing. Blessings

Kerin said...

Hello :)
What a fun day you had... again!
That stamp store is pretty fabulous!

Oh my... I've never taken selfies... even before that's what they were called .. *smile*.
You did good!

Catherine said...

dear Carol, It is chilly here! It sounds like a wonderful day that you spent as a tourist.
It is so much fun to visit with friends and enjoy the joys of your own city.
Blessings, Catherine

Mevely317 said...

Your 'selfie' cracked me up, Carol!
So glad you had such a positive time with Sheilagh and Ralph making new memories!

I'd have been positively agog at the Ink Pad. Love those sorts of play-things :)

Sola Scriptura said...

What a lovely day! I've made my own Christmas cards in previous years, but don't feel motivated to make any this year. Maybe I need the motivation of a craft store like the one you pictured!

Theresa said...

I can almost taste those cinnamon rolls and feel the chill in the air:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Those chilly days are here for us too. Sweaters and jackets have been worn. Glad you had such a nice day with your friends.

Dee said...

Dear Carol, thanks for sharing that lovely day with us. The dessert looked scrumptious--you ought to go in for food photography as I understand it's not always easy to make the dish look appetizing and you surely did that! Peace.

Susie said...

Buttercup....I want that cinnamon roll. Oh my goodness. I like that mural too. So neat. xoxo,Susie

Ida said...

Sounds like a fun time.
The mural was pretty neat and the cinnamon roll looked yummy. I haven't been to a good craft store in a long time. That one looked like it had some good stuff.