Powered by Blogger.

Afternoon in Vienna

When I first wrote about Vienna it was still far, far away in my dreams. But I'm happy to report I had the next best thing to being in Vienna at the celebration for the 150th anniversary of the Ringstrasse. The Great Hall at Grand Central Station was set up as a Viennese Coffee House. Despite the fact that tens of thousands of people rush through Grand Central every day it was a relaxing and delightful place to have a cup of coffee.


This was the scene on the opposite wall -- Vienna, then and now. 

I was especially taken by the coffee. I drink a lot of coffee and some of the time it's pretty average. This coffee was not average. It was memorable. The company, Julius Meinl, is Viennese and was founded in 1862. It is the stuff that great afternoons of coffee drinking are made of.  I was delighted to find that I could order it, and equally pleased to find a place in New York to drink it. The latter is a lovely museum and deserves a post on its own. 

 So glad I was able to celebrate Ringstrasse150. Happy birthday to one of the world's most beautiful streets. 

Thank you all for the get well wishes. I'm feeling much better and hope to be out and about -- taking it easy -- tomorrow. I slept a lot of yesterday, but had more energy and appetite today. The weather has been wet and dreary for the last few days, which made it a lot easier to stay indoors. 

Please stop by tomorrow for Foodie Friday and some thoughts on tomato soup. 

As always, thanks for visiting and take good care.  

7 comments

Ordinary J said...

I would love to go to Vienna one day. I first fell in love with everything Austria because of Julie Andrews's movie, The Sound of Music, which I watched a gazillion times when I was growing up. Then I fell in love with Vienna because of a Japanese cartoon series I watched growing up and the story background was in Vienna.

Sola Scriptura said...

The Viennese coffee sounds wonderful! I hope you continue to feel better! Take care :)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'll have to be on the look out now for Viennese coffee. I'm not sure if I've ever seen any. Glad you are better. We had some wonderful sunshine yesterday and I manage to get out on the patio and soak up some rays. It felt heavenly. I had jeans and a sweater on so it wasn't like summertime, still the warmth was there.

Theresa said...

Beautiful then and now:) Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Nellie said...

Happy Friday to you, Buttercup! What a lovely way to enjoy coffee! I'd love to visit Vienna as well! Take care of yourself! xo

Susie said...

So glad you are better Carol. I saw on the news about this in the train station. We tour there when we were in NYC...I love it, remembering movie shots there. Bless you, xoxo,Susie

TARYTERRE said...

Looks like a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.