Powered by Blogger.

Buttercup Goes to Fashion Week

I don't begin to pretend that I'm a fashion person. My outfit for today was blue jeans, a cotton turtleneck sweater -- one of at least a dozen that I wear regularly -- grey suede boots and a black storm coat. The boots and the coat with a faux fur collar make a slight turn to being fashionable, but the rest of the outfit is the opposite of high fashion. It's no wonder that I didn't receive an invitation to any of the designer shows that are going on all over Manhattan this week. I was actually quite oblivious to all the hooplah until I saw this window display when I got off the bus this afternoon.

I wouldn't call this an invitation, but it's the closest I expect to get to Fashion Week. I decided to stop inside the store and see what the fashionable among us will be wearing if the snow ever melts.

 I was delighted to see skirts and hats that weren't made with ear flaps. 

I thought this was a cute look. I won't be wearing leggings with a skirt, but I am in love with the heart decorated socks. I would be wearing the socks with jeans, but I think the look in the store is fun. 

Though it's still cold -- really cold -- it was sunny and I loved being outside. I went to an interesting program on flexibility at my senior program and treated myself to soup at a favorite restaurant. I also walked a mile and it felt so good to get some exercise. Snow is forecast again for later this week and I am determined to get out and walk on every day that it's not slippery. 

As always, I am so glad you came to visit. Take good care and keep cozy!

14 comments

Nellie said...

You had me chuckling at the lack of "high fashion" jeans and sweater.:-) Isn't it interesting to see how impractical some fashions tend to be.:-)

Anonymous said...

My wardrobe is mostly jeans and tshirts now that I stay home. I do love looking at the new fashions. As a kid, I remember my grandma looking at the new fashions and then sitting down and cutting out something similar and sewing it up!!!
Your soup and a brisk walk in the sun sounds lovely. Have a good night.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I've never been mistaken for a fashionista, but I like to see what the fashionable wear, too. I am big on turtlenecks. That's about all I wear during the fall and winter, with slacks or jeans.

Nancy's Notes said...

Sounds like you had a great day in the City! Being out in the sun and looking like a fashion gal, soaking up everything, what fun!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Reading your post, I looked down at my feet, and lo and behold, I am wearing beige, cashmere blend socks with pink hearts on them. My gosh, does that make me a fashionista (even though I got them at Kohls).

TARYTERRE said...

Loved seeing the store displays. I like the socks too.

The Cranky said...

I'm wearing fleece pyjamas with red, white, and pink polka dots; does that count?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes it is always nice to look at the fashions, even though we may not be fashionable. It's nice to see anyone in a skirt these days. I haven't worn one in a long long time. It seems that pants are so much warmer. I'm old enough to remember when you really didn't go much of anyplace in pants and certainly not to work. Glad you got out with out slipping and sliding. It is still very snowy here and zero degrees once again this morning.

Susie said...

Buttercup, I dream of being in NYC for fashion week. I would look like I came right off the street. But that is where real fashion begins. I like to watch the fashion"shows" on tv...Project Runway was my favorite. I honestly have worn a lot of looks....but will not sweats on the street. Show us your socks when you get them. xoxo,Susie

Linda said...

I guess I am stuck in the 80's then, LOL. I am not sure about the "fashion" thing..I'll tell you, you sure make me smile though. Blessings

Theresa said...

OH girl, I bet you were styling and profiling:) I like the skirt too! I am ready to ditch the boots for some flip-flops! We are expecting an ICE storm tomorrow! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Sola Scriptura said...

I like the skirt, I would wear that! Thanks for posting this, I like to look at what's in fashion although my wardrobe seldom reflects it. :)

Lynda said...

If anyone looked at me, it would be obvious I don't follow fashion. When I do try to look "presentable", it is generally a classic look with a blazer. Clothes have interested me less as I get older. Comfortable, clean, and not an embarrassing look is what I strive for. And I am not a rebel but also have a body that does not flatter garments that were beautiful on the hanger!!!

Kerin said...

Fun post!
You are so adventurous. It's great that you went into the store, checked out the fashion, and took pictures to share with us.
Sounds nice to go for a walk, and buy some soup.

You have opportunities that I don't have, and I love reading about your adventures!!
There are no stores in our little town, and fashion consists of overalls, boots and an occasional cowboy hat :)
There is only one little café, and I do not care for their food... plus they are only open limited hours.

SO.. you keep being adventurous, and keep sharing your adventures with us :)

Happy day to you.

Kerin