Powered by Blogger.

There May Be Snow on the Ground...

...But my memories are warm and sunny!

Today I realized it has been just a year since I took a vacation, and blog buddies, it's getting to me. I couldn't travel for six months because of my spinal surgery and then my planned to trip to New Orleans in November got washed away by Hurricane Sandy. I've got a couple of trips planned for July -- Orlando and Chicago -- but it seems a long time to July and sun. 

I decided to reach back to my memories and went back to one of my best travel memories. In August 1983 -- yes, the absolutely hottest time imaginable -- my college roommate and I went to Greece and Egypt. We posed the question, "Where would we go if we could go anywhere? " Anywhere was Athens, Luxor and Cairo and a quick cruise in the Greek Isles. 

It was a splurge, but also a fabulous time and the memories have stayed with us for thirty years. High points were seeing the Parthenon, shopping in Luxor and wonderful days in Rhodes and Santorini. But perhaps my favorite moment was seeing the Pyramids on camelback. Our camel was called Yankee Doodle and it was just about the bumpiest ride of my life, but what a memory! Yankee Doodle looks a lot more cheerful in this picture than he was in actuality. 

  Buttercup and Jane atop Yankee Doodle. Pyramid in the background.  

I hope you've enjoyed this little break from winter weather. I have and am very happy to link with Flashback Friday for our visit to Egypt. 

So glad it's Friday. I think it's going to be a fun weekend and I am delighted that the weather prediction is fifty degree.

Wishing you a delightful Saturday!

18 comments

Nellie said...

What an awesome trip! Memories from something like that would last a lifetime!

Mevely317 said...

What a great memory, Carol! Is it my imagination, or do I detect lots of laughter going on here?
I've only been "aboard" a camel once, but loved it.

I'd love to learn more about your Greek isles excursion!

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

Wow. What a fantastic memories you must have of that trip. The photo says it all :)

The Cranky said...

What fun memories, and a great break from the grimness of winter...thanks for sharing!

TARYTERRE said...

Wonderful memories. How hot was it there at the time? Do you remember?

Terra said...

That was a great trip I am sure, and how fun to ride a camel near the pyramids.

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

That had to be a fantastic experience!

threesidesofcrazy said...

Great memories! Riding a camel sure doesn't look easy.

Lessandra said...

What a great picture! I hope your next plans for a trip are successful!

Unknown said...

The only memories I have of riding a camel was at the Bronx Zoo when I was little. The real deal would be so much better. Thank for sharing.

Came by from Tales of the Reborn Crafter.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is a nice warm flash back...we are to get up to 50 tomorrow they say with a little rain too. Maybe the last of our snow will finally melt. Hope you have a super Saturday!

Theresa said...

Oh what a sweet flash back:) CUTE picture of you on the camel! Have a blessed day my friend, HUGS!

Ms Sparrow said...

I am of the opinion that the benefits of travel are greater than anything else one might have done with that time and money!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Just found your blog and enjoyed reading your story from your college days. I am now following and look forward to reading more :-)

Susie said...

Buttercup, You have seen the things I can only dream of at this time. Aren't you glad you saw all that before all the nasty up risings?? I pray that with all the turmoil that those treasures aren't destoryed. I think back on some of my best trips. Last year in NYC and Hollywood/L.A. in 2011. I am so longing for a trip this year. Enjoy your plans...Chicago is one of my favorite places also.xoxo,Susie

Anonymous said...

What fun photos! I enjoy you sharing your travels with us.

Nancy said...

A trip of a lifetime -- what great memories you must have. I'm so glad you shared with us Carol. xo

Martha said...

How cool! I have a photo on a camel in Israel from right around that same year. I'll have to find it share on Flashback Friday too! Thanks for linking up :)