Powered by Blogger.

What Will We Do Without Number 42?

I've written a number of posts about my love of baseball, most recently this post about Jackie Robinson, #42. Yesterday the last player still wearing the number 42 announced he would retire at the end of this season. It's Mariano Rivera who has been the reliever for the Yankees for almost twenty years and one of my -- and Pepe's -- favorite players. Number 42 was retired in 1997, except for those players who were actively playing. "Mo's" retirement permanently retires this great number.

Mariano Rivera is the player for the Yankees that pitches the last few innings, and has pitched extraordinarily. He has been a twelve time all-star, with outstanding pitching statistics. What's even more impressive, especially in this era where so many of our heroes are often day tainted with misconduct, there hasn't been a whiff of scandal. He's not in the gossip pages off the field. Though there were three different Yankee uniforms to pick from, when I chose a baseball uniform for Pepe there was was no choice but to dress Pepe in #42.

  Pepe soberly considers next season's chances for the Yankees. 

Homage to Mariano Rivera, #42

The weather was glorious in New York this weekend and I did a fair amount of running around. I was out and about so much yesterday that I missed Pink Saturday. I went to Bible Study in the afternoon and had a ticket in the evening for a concert. It was a big-band program of music by Julie Styne, and featured songs from "Funny Girl," "Gypsy" and "Bells are Ringing." The talent was terrific and the music, of course, was wonderful. With the cold weather we've had I haven't been doing that much in the evenings and it was a lot of fun to be out on a Saturday night.  

The week ahead looks full of work, work, work. But I've taken some pictures I hope to share and I'm snapping away for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. I've got a theme in mind and I've had a good time getting prepared for next month's blogging. Anyone else joining me?

Wishes for a sweet week!

11 comments

TARYTERRE said...

Good choice. Pepe wears the uniform well.

Maggid said...

I LOVE learning more & more about You! Okay, okay - I've entered the A to Z in April event - (You certainly take me to the very best places - thank you) I hope i can think of an entire alphabet of "stuff."
love & love,
-g-

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Baseball season is just around the corner isn't it. It was nice here but quiet. I'll be looking forward to your posts.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's really cute! And it sounds like you had a fun weekend! I love the music you listened to! Enjoy the week ahead!

Theresa said...

Pepe the handsome #42:) Have a blessed week dear friend, HUGS!

Patty Sumner said...

Not a big sports fan but I love Pepe! He is just to cute. Sounds like you had a great weekend. Bible study and concert...what could be better...Have a great week. Blessings!

Deanna said...

Not much of a baseball fan, but wish him well in his retirement. Now the music, big fan. Would have totally enjoyed that concert. Good week ahead!

Susie said...

Buttercup, There is a man In our town that is absolutely nuts for the Yankies. I call him Yankie Doodle Dandy. I think everyone knows him here. I miss the old days watching baseball with my father. Back when Dizzy Dean and Red Barber did some announcing. I'd love to see at least one game a year. Only one g.son playing ball now. Take care. xoxo,Susie

Amrita said...

He is so cute

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

I'm glad your weather was nice this weekend. Sounds like you had a fabulous Saturday night!

Grammy Staffy said...

Pepe makes a cute #42. I'm glad that you had a nice weekend with warmer weather. Thanks for your support and prayers. Have a great week. Hugs, Lura