Powered by Blogger.

March 2, 1947


Exactly sixty six years ago tomorrow my parents were married on my father's thirtieth birthday. They were introduced in October, 1946 -- not a long courtship -- by a couple who were friends with both sets of grandparents. My father was living in New York City and my mother in Hartford. My father, somewhat unconventionally, moved to Hartford after they were married and three years later I was born at Hartford Hospital.

My father died in 1982, much, much too soon. I doubt if he ever wore white tie again. I know he was much happier in a flannel shirt and the best times we had as a family were casual times. Whether it was raking leaves, being at the beach or long Sunday drives to historic places there were many good times and lots of fun. I am very grateful that my parents took that leap on March 2, 1947 and they are both remembered with love and gratitude. Happy birthday, Daddy!

I am linking to Flashback Friday, where I hope to be a frequent visitor.

Wishes for a weekend of sweet memories and happy times!

17 comments

Barbara F. said...

Memories are wonderful. My parents were married that same year, in September. Happy birthday to your dad and happy anniversary to your lovely parents. xo

Mevely317 said...

What a precious share!~
... I can't help but wonder what they were saying to one another when this photo was taken. :)

I lost my own dad in Dec. '81, but like you, rejoice in the memories. Weren't we so blessed because once upon a time, two people fell in love!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Flashbacks are fun. You do have some wonderful memories. and the picture of your parents is a lovely one.

Martha said...

What a beautiful photo and beautiful memories to go along. Thanks so much for sharing with us for Flashback Friday.

Theresa said...

Oh what a beautiful picture:) I know you look at that often and have sweet memories! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

What a lovely photo of your parents.

martinealison said...

Un bel hommage...
Gros bisous

TexWisGirl said...

a sweet remembrance. thanks for coming by!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful couple and such loving memories you've shared. Thank you.

Melinda said...

Good memories are a wonderful thing!

Super picture from your past.


M :)

Lynda said...

I love your wishes for a weekend of sweet memories and happy times. Age has definitely given my husband and me the wisdom to cherish times spent with family and friends.

Kate said...

They had a lovely daughter, of whom they were always very proud, as they should have been, and they loved her very much, as she loved them. There are some other details, like any other life, but these words are true about the early life of Princess Buttercup.
Love K

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Great picture and a wonderful memory.

Ms Sparrow said...

My parents were married only six weeks after they met--and I was already on the way! It was an enduring, loving marriage.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I love this post and the love and memories it reflects. Lovely photo :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pix of your Mom and Dad. My dad was from New York and my mother was also from Hartford. But they met in New Jersey. Hope to see you again here on Flashback Friday! See the weekend is half over, have a wonderful week!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

What a beautiful photo. I'm sorry your dad passed too early; it seems so many dads do. I'm so grateful to still have both of my parents. They're in their 80's now and will be married 64 years in May.