Powered by Blogger.

Happy Birthday, Julia

We're taking another desk chair traveler trip today to Washington, D.C. Our first stop is the National Museum of American History -- one of my all-time favorite museums, to celebrate the 100th birthday of another of my all-time favorites, Julia Child. The museum has a model of her television kitchen and I loved seeing it when I visited Washington in 2009. I've posted a few of these pictures before, but today is definitely a time to share them again.





I enjoyed looking at the museum's website. The ongoing exhibitions are wonderful, documenting every era in American history, and I saw an exhibition commemorating the 100th birthday of the Girl Scouts, which looked great. If you are visiting Washington this museum is definitely worth a visit or two! I'm overdue for a return trip.

It wouldn't be a visit to Washington without...
Stopping by the White House... 

and seeing the Washington Monument. 

President John Fitzgerald Kennedy's grave, with an excerpt from his Inaugural Address 

We're taking a trip across the river to Virginia and visiting Arlington National Cemetery, one of the most moving places I know. I've been there a number of times, and each time I appreciate anew the sacrifices made by those who are buried here. My last visit was in 2010 with Marydon, Harold and Sherry, my dear blog friends. I found it especially meaningful to share this visit with friends who had a deep appreciation and knowledge of history.  

I hope you've enjoyed our visit to Washington. I know I have. I have a few ideas for our trip tomorrow. It may be exotic or it may be close to home. Please come back tomorrow to know where in the world Buttercup has gone!  

10 comments

TARYTERRE said...

Funny you should mention Julia Child. I just picked up the book about her life today, called DEARIE. DC is a wonderful place to explore. So much history. ENJOYED this armchair excursion there. Take care.

Marie Rayner said...

I have always wanted to go to Washington DC Buttercup. Perhaps one day I will. I wonder just how many of us middle aged cooks cut our culinary teeth on Julia Child! Most of us I am betting! Loved her and her enthusiasm for food, cooking and eating!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I happened to catch a tv show yesterday honoring Julia
Child and they mentioned the museum display. I've never visited DC so thanks for the trip there today. Hope your Thursday is a great one!

Theresa said...

I am enjoying my trip with you! This day is one that is on my list also! I haven't been there in many years but will be visiting soon:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Unknown said...

Chuckling at myself! Thought you were in town ... yes! it was fun going together to the sights ... we so do love history! We were there in June taking Tanza, Donna & Taylor.

TTFN~
Have a great day ...
Marydon

Nellie said...

Julia Child brought such a new approach to our kitchen preparations! We loved watching her show on PBS!

It has been many years since I visited Washington, D.C. while I was in college. Thank you for today's tour.

Becky K. said...

I love Washington D.C. The architecture always makes me feel happy.

Anonymous said...

We were just in DC in July and I swear Julia's kitchen is no longer at the Smithsonian...I was looking forward to seeing it again but couldn't find it. It either moved, or is gone, or hiding from me...hopefully it's back when we go again in November!

Lynda said...

I learned more about Julia Child when I saw the movie, Julie and Julia. She was a very interesting person.

Maggid said...

Love Your Adventures!