Powered by Blogger.

Where in the World was Buttercup?

I am a fan of the "Today" Show and one of my favorite times is the week when Matt Lauer travels to a different place each day and the question is "Where in the World is Matt Lauer." Some of the places are far from New York and very difficult to travel to. Others are big cities with easy air access. I am always in awe of the distances traveled and the interesting sites we get to see each morning. I am also in awe of the work the crew does to prepare for these visits.

My travel has been limited to three boroughs of New York City this week, so we're going back in time to ask "Where in the World was Buttercup?" The first clue is that it's far, far away from New York City.

 The foliage won't be found in New York, except at the Botanical Gardens. Please note that I am taking this picture, not one of the brave souls on the rope bridge. 

I took many pictures of water buffaloes, also not readily found in New York City.

But it wasn't all lush foliage and animals that we'd generally find in a zoo. This is a street in the capital of the state, a city known as K.K.

Any guesses?

The answer as shown on the wall of this train station is:
The state of Sabah, on the island of Borneo, which is part of Malaysia. 

Though the pictures are stamped 2002 (cannot fathom why!) I traveled to Borneo in 2000. We toured Sabah and the high point of the trip was to visit the orangutan rehabilitation centre in Sepilok. It was fascinating and well worth the distance and effort it took to get there. If you are interested in animals at all, please open the link. The photos of the orangutans are far better than any I took and this issue remains dear to my heart. 

Desk chair travel...the next best thing to flying far away and the fun of revisiting favorite places. No ticket, no passport, no suitcases or crowded airports and lots of happy memories. Thanks for joining me in Borneo!

Where in the World Will Buttercup be Tomorrow? I hope you will come along for the ride. 

12 comments

Maggid said...

Your travels ALWAYS make me smile.
love & love,
-g-

Ms Sparrow said...

How nice you got to see the orangutans! It sounds like a wonderful place.

TARYTERRE said...

Not crazy about orangutans. But love the water buffalo. The sanctuary was very interesting and I enjoyedseeing where Buttercup was today.

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating trip/visit. Thank you, too, for the link. Wishing you a very nice weekend.

Terra said...

Oh Buttercup, how good you visited the orangutan sanctuary; they are noble animals with their wise eyes. We need to preserve land for them.

Mimi said...

HI BUTTERCUP!!!!
I am not always watching The Today Show......I watch FOX News alot...but when MATT travels I tape every one!!I think I have only gotten 5 or so right in over 5 years watching.....the clues are HARD!!!!I thought you were in Africa.....so you see I am wrong alot!!!But your travels fascinate me!!!!How I would LOVE to travel with you some day!!!!
Great pics for sure!!!
Hugs,
jamie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Friday! Hope your day is a fantastic one!

Theresa said...

WOW, I would have NEVER guessed:) Hope you have an awesome Friday! Where are we going today? HUGS!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow---I had no idea.... But--I knew that water buffalo put you somewhere like Malaysia... That was so neat that you traveled there. We love to travel--but are still seeing the good ole USA... George wants to go back to China sometime. Not sure we will make it...

Hugs,
Betsy

Lynda said...

You have done extensive traveling - - - more than I knew when I first started following you. I'm impressed cuz I didn't know you had ventured to so many exotic places outside of NYC.

Nellie said...

This was the best way for me to see Borneo, probably not on my "bucket list," (that is, if I had such a list).

xo Nellie

Kathleen said...

Hi Buttercup!
I hope you are feeling better. Read about that climb up those steps! My sis was in a wheelchair her whole life, 26 years, so I know how difficult everyday life becomes when you are disabled, temporarily or otherwise.

I saw Matt the other day, he has a home , one of many, on my street. He docks his boat here.

Summer flew! Did you get out to your friend's in Bridgehampton?