Powered by Blogger.

Live from New York City...The Calm Before the Storm

I've just returned from a successful foray out of my apartment in search of a bagel for tomorrow's breakfast. The Dunkin Donuts a block away was open and doing a brisk business in iced coffee and doughnuts. The rain is light and there is no wind. So far, so good.

The scene at my corner. The trees are standing still and people are strolling. 

I joined the shopping parade in Manhattan. Although I have stocked up on canned goods and beverages I was concerned I would not have water and made a mad dash last night. This was the scene that greeted me at the drugstore.  The empty space is where the reasonably priced water should be displayed. The bottles to the left are very fancy and imported and the small bottles are $3.99. I made the quick decision that I was okay without $3.99 water. 

I was less successful in the bread aisle at the grocery last night. All bread and bagels were gone. All that was left were hot dog and hamburger rolls, which necessitated my dash out this afternoon.  

It's been a wild week, and there are moments I feel that I am in some very odd disaster movie. Our work Division is an integral part of the hurricane planning and evacuation efforts and the entire agency is a major part of New York City's hurricane plans, so it's been non-stop. You may even be seeing some of my friends and colleagues on television. Please say a prayer for all of us on the east coast and my New York neighbors, especially those of us who go in harm's way to keep us all safe.  

19 comments

Anonymous said...

Be safe my friend! We will be thinking of you!!!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Heavy rain has begun here in south Jersey. Will pray for safety :)

Unknown said...

Lifting the entire east coast, tho Maryland is just WET, no biggy here. Seems to have lost some punch. Be safe, take care. Oh, BTW,hamburger & hot dog buns are fabulous breakfast foods when light grilled on both sides, add butter & jam ... yummy!

Huggers, Marydon & Harold

Barbara F. said...

Hi there, glad you rounded up provisions, I have been stocking up since Thursday, I am as prepared as I can be, still praying hard, lighting candles. Be safe. Hope you are not on a high floor. xo,

Mimi said...

HI BUTTERCUp,
So glad you got everything you needed ahead of time, sorry about the lack of water,reasonable water that is. I Pray for your safety as well as all of the east cost, in some ways....WE all bare the cost of these disasters, SO I am Praying for a Smooth ride for all. Glad you got some pics and I hope to see alot more. BE SAFE
TAKE CARE and thanks for the work you do
hugs,
jamie

Melinda said...

Blessings and prayers for you and
your community.
good luck with Irene--mabwe she will tire out before getting to you!


Good Luck and fingers crossed for you.

Melinda

Kathleen said...

Hi Buttercup!
Spent the day getting ready for Irene. Went down to the ocean, very rough! Can't imagine what it will be tomorrow, but I won't be going!
Stay safe, hope we all come through with no damage!

Mevely317 said...

I was watching your Mayor's speech earlier this afternoon ... and yes, I was more interested in scannng the faces behind him for yours!

Joining others' prayers for the East Coast!

Melissa said...

I have thought of you today and I'm glad you posted. Stay safe!!

Tanna said...

Prayers being said... blessings ~ tanna

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've been praying this weekend for everyone affected by the storm. I know that many others are too. Take good care.

Kate said...

Keep checking in. We're waiting to hear from you. Love K

Connie Arnold said...

Keeping prayers going for all affected by Hurricane Irene. Hope you are making it all right and safe.

Sybil said...

So glad that you have taken time to give us an update..I pray that the worst is now over. I am lisning to the TV and they tell me that it is leaving NY now and downgraded to Tropical Storm..
Keep us posted,
Keep Safe,
Love Sybil x

TARYTERRE said...

Water and bread sells out quickly when there is a potential weather threat. In a pinch a hot dog or hamburger bun will do. My family in Maryland survived. It could have been much worse. Take care. I hope you were able to weather the storm, when it hit.

Sheilagh said...

Thinling of you, praying for all in Irene's wake. Just watching the aftermath on tv. Time Square deserted looks weird!!!

Love and Hugs

Sheialgh and Ralph
xxx

Unknown said...

Thinking of you. Be Safe. Hugs!

Cathyjo said...

Praying that you stay safe and shell beable to endoor whatever comes your way and for all others in hams way.(Hugs)

Lynda said...

We have been following the news. My concern now is for the Schoharie Valley where I grew up. The Gilboa Dam is above flood stage and evacuation began in the low-lying towns. It means crops will be ruined, too.
Praying you all have electricity in the city cuz it's not cool enough without it - - right?