Powered by Blogger.

Happy Bastille Day

I seek the sun of my childhood...

Today is Bastille Day, the national holiday of France. I'm not in France today -- alas -- but  I'd like to share few of the treats I enjoyed in while I was there in May. We can have a virtual celebration of one of the joys of France, the food. 


While I tried to eat (relatively) healthy, this wasn't the time to give up all treats. Some mornings I stuck with my usual yogurt and cereal for breakfast and other mornings it was croissants and cafe au lait. Croissants are one of my all-time favorite foods and I generally don't eat them, but I indulged during my trip. 


Croissant mornings are the best

I loved a very leisurely cup of coffee and the indulgence of a crispy croissant. I know that I could do the same in New York, but it really signaled to me that I was on vacation and the experience was something special. 


Mousse and more mousse

On the day I arrived I went grocery shopping in a very large suburban grocery store. I was especially interested in products that I don't see when I'm shopping in New York. I was rewarded with this giant display of dozens of flavors of  mousse and next to the mousse, I found liegeois, another variety of cold dessert. I didn't buy either, and now I definitely have buyer's remorse. 

(Possibly) My favorite meal in Paris 

There were a few rainy days, but after I toured the Louvre the sun was shining and it was the perfect day for an outdoor lunch. I had salmon benedict on a croissant with pommes frites aka French fries. The fries were hot and crispy and I especially liked the way they were served. I'd done a lot of walking in the vast halls of the Louvre and didn't feel a bit guilty for the completely indulgent lunch. It was the best of Paris in the spring. 

I hope you've enjoyed our culinary visit to France and a happy Bastille Day to my French friends. 

Pep and I both enjoyed our birthdays and we are very appreciative of all the good wishes. This is the first year I haven't done a birthday post, but there's one to come this week. I've got a little more birthday celebrating to come and I'm really looking forward to fun times. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and keep cool!   

3 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Carol. This was a fun "visit" to France. Have a good week. See you again soon!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Great memories of your time in France can't be beat! I love coisants too, but rarely indulge in one any more.Now you've really made me hungry for one and I love that coffee too. I think everyone should celebrate their birthday for more than one day! Can't wait for your birthday post!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated birthday greetings to you, Carol, and to Pep as well. The foods you enjoyed on your Paris trip sounded so good. We did much the same (indulged) when we were in Amalfi last fall and then in the UK. I suspect the same will happen when we visit Tuscany this fall. Life is to short not to treat ourselves every now and hen and especially when traveling to someplace new.