Powered by Blogger.

From Generation to Generation

My first favorite Passover candy

I probably discovered fruit slices circa 1954. The red ones -- cherry flavor -- were my favorites and then orange and then lime. I don't remember jelly candies at other times of the year, so fruit slices were a real treat at each Passover. Somewhere in the last 70 years there are now jelly candies everywhere in every flavor and my beloved fruit slices didn't seem very special anymore. I don't eat much candy these days and I can't remember the last time I had a fruit slice. But I was in one of the local markets over the weekend and they caught my eye. 

What a flood of memories were created by these candies. I was transported to my grandmother's dining room and surrounded by my closest family. The table was set and in the course of the following hours the starched white table cloth would be flecked with burgundy dots from mishaps with the four cups of wine. There would be food and family and Seder prayers and yes, fruit slices. 

Decades have gone by and I realized as I began to write this post, that I am the only person remaining of the family that sat around my grandmother's table. My cousin Arlene, who was seven years older, died just a few years ago, so now it's just me. But tonight I will be with friends who are family and there will be wine mishaps, prayers, food and family and perhaps, fruit slices, too. From Generation to Generation. 

To all who are celebrating Passover, wishes for a sweet Passover and to all, wishes for a world of Peace. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy and healthy!

6 comments

Karen Jones Gowen said...

What a sweet memory, and even sweeter as I think of fruit slices. My grandmother used to have them at her house too, which is where I first became familiar with them. They're addicting. I always wanted more than she allowed. Then as I got older, I realized they were in the store by the cashier and I could buy them myself if I saved my allowance.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sweet memory of time with your family. May you have a blessed passover with those you care about.

Theresa said...

Memories are sweet! Enjoy your day dear friend, it's a chilly morning here! HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy (belated) Passover to you, Carol, and nice that you celebrated with friends in the absence of your late family members. While I have never seen the brand of fruit slices you posted about, I do recall enjoying Chuckles jelly candies years ago, and wonder if these are still made.

Chatty Crone said...

Happy and blessed Passover to you as well.
I know what you mean about being the last one at the table.
I remember those fruit gel pieces too.
Enjoy your memories.
Sandie

Jeanie said...

Those slices look tasty but not nearly so much as the wonderful memories. Happy Passover, Carol.