Powered by Blogger.

The Scene Behind the Magic

 

Holiday decorations are appearing and it is -- as the song says --
beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

In just a few days, the Friday after Thanksgiving, the decorations for the season will be complete and the city will be totally decked in holiday attire. But for the last few days I could still see the building and decorating that will turn the city into a holiday wonderland. The picture above was at an apartment building on the Upper East Side, pretty and festive. 


A sidewalk decoration at the same building


 But before these sights were created this was the scene on the sidewalk.
  
 
Before the magic

I took the "before the magic" picture on my way to a medical appointment and the two top pictures after my appointment as I made my way to the bus. The appointment was one of my last of the year and it was a totally uneventful visit to the dermatologist. This was a great gift before Thanksgiving. 

Every year I am amazed at how quickly the year has gone by. It wasn't so fast in the short days and long nights of winter, but once the spring came 2022 flew by. The fall has been going like a rocket and no doubt, December will also fly by. The joy of Thanksgiving, visits by friends from out of town, the annual Chanukah celebration and the familiar pleasures of New York in December make it one of my favorite times of the year. I'm going to focus on the sweetness of the now and not think ahead to the plans of 2023 that wind just around the bend. 

I'm picking up the apple crumb pie -- this year's pie choice -- and making my pear cranberry sauce tomorrow. I'm praying tomorrow is also my last ophthalmologist appointment of the year and my eye treatments are every other month in 2023. That's one 2023 plan I will look ahead to. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and thanks, too, for your friendship throughout the year.  


8 comments

Deanna Rabe said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Carol!

I love seeing behind the scenes photos. I love creative things like putting together holiday decor and planters!

Billie Jo said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Lynda said...

NYC is definitely known for gorgeous Christmas decorations. Are you anywhere near the Fox News area? We watched the lighting of that Christmas tree a few nights ago.
I am thankful your eye treatments are helping you. Sight is so precious. Also thankful you can start going less frequently.
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm packing up the fall decorations here in order to start the Christmas decorations. It means a fresh tablecloth on the table looking very Christmassy and putting the trees on the table tops so I can light up the dark nights. I'll be starting to decorate the day after Thanksgiving. I wiah you very Happy Thanksgiving !

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello Carol! This was a nice post. I love just being in the "here and now" and appreciating that as the world seems to spin ever faster and crazier. Enjoy your time with friend and family that is the best part about this time of year! Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Mevely317 said...

Congratulations on the 'uneventful' derma appointment!
I'd love to witness up close and personal NYC's magical holiday decor someday. Kudos to those mostly-unseen men and women who make it all happen!
Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.

LC said...

I had to grin at your capture of before and after. A bit of reality makes me appreciate the effort someone has put into creating a lovely environment.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Thanksgiving Carol and it is indeed beginning to look like 🎄is coming fast. It will be fun to see NYC decorated and ready to celebrate through your posts, as always.