Powered by Blogger.

The Journey of 10,000 Miles: Mid-Year 2022

 

The Pacific Ocean, as seen from Lima Peru
3,500 miles from New York City

Firstly, I am not in Lima, where it is currently winter and a balmy 58 degrees. I am in a not-so balmy New York City and plan to be here, with perhaps a day trip here and there, until what's become my annual visit to Maine to see Betsy and Debby (an junior high school friend) later this month. My goal is to get a million errands that have been neglected done in the next few weeks, do some reading and keep up with my mileage. 

On the topic of mileage let's begin with my six month tally for 2022. My goal, as usual, is 1,000 miles for the year. Thanks to a lot of walking at both my Mount Holyoke and Dartmouth reunions, I've surpassed my six-moth goal of 500 miles by 35 miles and I'm moving right along into July. Generally the summer is the time I do the least walking because July and August are really rough for my favorite outdoor walks, but it's been fine so far. I'm also going to be away somewhere cooler in July and in August, so that should keep me on track. Lots more to come on the August destinations, but the trip includes one of the places I've been thinking about for the last three plus years.   

Last year I introduced the idea of walking 10,000 miles. I don't have an end-time for the 10,000 mile achievement, but estimated 2026. It seems an ambitious goal for someone who turns 72 in two days, but one that keeps motivating me. I like working towards my yearly 1,000 miles, but I love having a longer goal to keep me going. 

I've walked approximately 5,330 miles since January 1, 2017. When I searched "5,300 miles from New York City" the response was the Pacific Ocean. I haven't seen much of the Pacific in the last decade and this was the only photograph that came to mind. I've got some long-term Pacific goals -- Chile and the Easter Islands among them -- but those are still dreams at this time. I'm thinking of California, too, and finally getting to Yosemite, which seems a lot more likely than the Easter Islands. What are your travel dreams?

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a good Thursday!

4 comments

Brenda said...

I have been everywhere I want…plan Nyc again when Covid even better …I will be 75 in Sept…grand lives Brooklyn and works Nyc…was our fav city before she moved there…my 70 to trip was NYC also…been about a dozen times…I live in paradise on Gulf Coast of Florida…moved here last year…did 1900 miles plus in 2020… 1500 luslast year…goal 1500 this year…on target so far…have bone diseases so each step painful but going for it..
We have Covid in family again despite carefulness and vaccines and masks…7 out of nine of us have had it…have a Happy Birthday…I love your blog..

Marcia said...

An early happy birthday greeting. This year I will be 72 as well but in December.

Anonymous said...

I'm envious of all the walking & travel you accomplish. Your in a lot better shape than I am. Congratulations!

Liz Hinds said...

Wow, that is an impressive ambition! good for you.