Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday: A Memo from the Buttercupland Tourism Office

 

I love New York and I love the wonderful visitors to New York City. 

From: Buttercupland Tourism Office

To: Visitors to New York City


Welcome back. You were missed for many long months. Thank you and hope you're having a great time. That's it. 



Stores are stocked for our returning visitors.

Almost like any other Saturday afternoon for the last forty-six years -- I moved to New York City in 1975 -- I was out and about. This Saturday I took the subway to West 50th Street for an off-Broadway theater matinee. It was chilly, but sunny and the first thing I noticed when I got off the subway and began to walk over to the theater was how crowded the streets were. Overseas visitors were permitted to return to New York starting November 8 and there's definitely an uptick in the people in Midtown Manhattan. 


 


On the bus ride home I thought about writing a thank you note to everyone who is a visitor to New York City. I realize I don't officially represent the City of New York, but I am the Chief Operating Officer for Buttercupland, and the Director of the Buttercupland Tourism Office, and we've certainly done our part to encourage visitors. I can certainly speak in that capacity. Thank you all for visiting New York. Visitors contribute so much to our city. Yes, in the obvious ways of jobs and revenue. But equally or even more importantly, in the energy and enthusiasm visitors bring with them. We wouldn't be New York without you, and as to paraphrase Hello Dolly, "It's so nice to have you back again. Please don't ever go away again!"


I'm also not the New York Times theater reviewer, but that's the wonder of having one's own mini-magazine in blog form. I am the official reviewer for Buttercupland, and in that capacity I'm reviewing the play I saw this afternoon. "Morning's at Seven" was first  produced in 1939 and has been brought back for a limited run through the beginning of January. I saw it in a revival a number of years ago and was enticed to see it again by a terrific cast. The play is a little dated, but comes together in the second act and was charming and fun. I was a fan of "The Wonder Years" and was delighted to see that Dan Lauria and Alley Mills, the parents in that show were both featured here and definite favorites for me. 


I'm trying to get a lot done in the next week. I've started wrapping and writing and would love to make a dent there in the next few days. I've got a medical appointment and cranberry relish to make and I know this season always gets a lot busier than I anticipate, so I want to be able to enjoy as much as I can without worrying about errands undone. 


So glad to join the Pink Saturday fun again this week and hope you'll stop by How Sweet the Sound to see all the fun posts. 


As ever, thanks for visiting and have a sweet Sunday.


9 comments

LC said...

My husband, firstborn son and I enjoyed a one-day visit to New York many years ago. Although we haven't returned, our daughter-in-law usually goes once a year for at least a week. When our granddaughter arrived, she was initiated into the "I Love New York" club early on, and later a grandson joined, too.

Louca por porcelana said...

I would love to be in New York again... It is in my bucket list!Happy Pink Saturday!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hubby and I have been talking about a possible short trip to see a couple of Broadway plays. Don't know for sure when, but it does sound fun and doable for us. We have been to The Big Apple a couple of times years ago when our oldest went to college on Long Island. NYC is an amazing place. I hope we can visit soon!

Jeanie said...

Good friends were recently in NYC to see David Byrne and they were very impressed with the precautions and safety elements in place, both on the streets, restaurants and in the theatre. Well done, NYC.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thank you for doing such a good job oa showing us your lovely city. Although I've never been able to visit there, just seeing it thought your eyes has made it an eye opener. I hope you enjoy all those visits to the city, I certainly do!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always love visiting the big city through your blog! I would love to walk down the sidewalks with you and see some of the windows you see...oh and have a cup of coffee at one of the cafes! Enjoy your day!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So nice of you to welcome back visitors, Carol, and you certainly a good welcoming committee of one. It’s been many years since my last visit, but when I lived in NJ catching the bus to NYC to see a show was a favorite Sat event. Maybe one day I will do that again.

Edna B said...

You're doing a great job of promoting Good Will for New York. I'm busy wrapping, etc. too. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Kerin said...

Always enjoy your post about your city, and seeing the downtown windows :)

Sending warm wishes...
~K.