Powered by Blogger.

Blogging from A to Z: E Is for England and F Is for Fascinator

 

"Oh to be in England, Now that April's there..." Robert Browning
Punting in Oxford, at the Magdalen Bridge

April's there and I am in New York, alas. I am missing my English friends, the English countryside, English cities, English food and even English hats. But thanks to the wonder of memory and photographs, we can visit England as part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

Jane Austen's city of Bath, and a treasure of Georgian architecture

So often, and definitely for me, the thoughts of England are London. But I've been very fortunate in the last few years to visit blog friends in other parts of England. In 2018 I had a wonderful trip to Wiltshire to see my blog friend, Sybil, and in 2019 spent time in Liverpool and Chester with my friends, Sheilagh and Ralph. Seeing a country with people who live there is an extraordinary experience and one that I will always be grateful. 

I'd had a quick visit to Bath a few years ago, but my visit in 2018 gave me time to explore all of the Jane Austen sites to my heart's content. Bath is an architecturally perfect city in County, Somerset, about 100 miles from London.   

Buttercup and Captain Wentworth, featured in Jane Austen's novel, "Persuasion" 

A high point of my visit was seeing The Jane Austen Centre, which presented a great narrative of Jane Austen's life. I had hoped to meet Mr. Darcy while I was there, but he wasn't in that day. I had the great good pleasure of meeting Captain Wentworth, one of my favorite characters in "Persuasion." Captain Wentworth is not as well known as Mr. Darcy, but is an equally engaging character. 

My favorite English dessert, sticky toffee pudding.
It's sweet and scrumptious with dates and molasses and a rich 
toffee sauce, and it's equally good with whipped cream

I'm set for a royal wedding in my fascinator.

I'm not much of a hat wearer, unless it's twenty degrees and I'm cold or ninety degrees and I'm worried about the sun. But while I was in Scotland in 2019 I spent a leisurely day shopping and sight-seeing. Often on vacations I succumb to impulse buying and that's how I came to own a fascinator. I've yet to attend a royal wedding, or even be invited to one, but I had fun wearing my fascinator to two Zoom weddings last summer.  

I hope you've enjoyed our too-quick trip to England. Tomorrow we're back in New York and we'll revisit an experience I enjoyed today. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a bright and sunny Thursday.   

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

This trip must have been totally DIVINE! I love Jane Austin, and the centre would be such an awesome place to visit. These boats are strangely shaped, being squared off at the ends! I guess it is some kind of special sport.

ScrappyShe said...

What a beautiful memory you brought back Carol. We have special moments to remember of time spent with you on both sides of the pond💗💗 can't wait for the next time xxx

Laurel Wood said...

Such wonderful memories and photos of your trips. The dessert with dates looks so tasty. I remember your fascinator and I am happy to learn you wore it to two zoom weddings!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You have been blessed to see different counties. If ai had a choice it would be England for me. I love the history there. Jane Austen would be my cup of tea. I've read her books and seen the movies. Your picture seems to fit right in with the times. I love the fascinator, over the top, hat you are wearing !

Nellie said...

How lovely it would be to be in England! You have some great memories of your trips there! Love your fascinator!

Jeanie said...

England is my heart-home and I adore each and every photo and memory here!

Lynnette Forest said...

Love the fascinator! Looks great. I love traveling to England - thanks for bringing me back.

Edna B said...

I'm getting caught up reading your posts (just got my laptop back from the repair shop). Your coffees sound rather delicious, and I have always wanted to visit England. I never did, so I'm really enjoying your photos. I think you look great in your fascinator. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I did enjoy the visit to England with you today. Have a great weekend.

Theresa said...

Thank you for letting me tag along on your visit. I love the picture of you in the fascinator. GORGEOUS! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!