Powered by Blogger.

Moonlight in Vermont

 

Icy finger waves...

I am an enormous fan of the music our parents grew up with, and "Moonlight in Vermont," is one of my favorites. The unofficial state song of Vermont was first recorded -- remember records? -- in 1944 and sung by Margaret Whiting. It's been covered by many of the great popular singers of our lives, including Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Sam Cooke, Billie Holiday, Brook Benton and Willie Nelson. Each verse evokes a different season in Vermont and today we're featuring winter, with a visit to one of the most beautiful towns in this beautiful state, Stowe.

 

Ski trails down a mountainside at the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe

Snowlight in Vermont over the Stowe Town Hall

Just looking at these pictures makes me so homesick for Vermont and lonely for my Vermont friends. I don't usually head north in the winter, but donned my boots and ultra-heavy down coat and headed to Burlington to visit my dear K and goddaughter, J. I am so glad that I went north and had the opportunity to spend time with them in 2020. It was definitely one of the high points of the year. Here's to another visit to Stowe and friends in the year ahead. 

Is there any place you're longing to see in 2021? I've got a list, but the top places seem to be throughout New England. Fingers crossed for new pictures before this year is over. 

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and stay safe.  

12 comments

acorn hollow said...

We are in the white Mts. of NH and feel very blessed to be. We visit woodstock Vermont when we can only about 1 hour from us but because of covid they frown on out of state visitors.
Cathy

Mevely317 said...

I, too, have come to love the music of my parent's generation. I'm longing to book a New England cruise, but a road trip to the Smokey Mountains is more realistic.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What beautiful pictures. I don't like the cold and snow, but it's lovely there. Glad you have so good memories to share! They do make life better.

Nellie said...

Love your pictures, as always! Would love to visit Vermont!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have been wanting to go to Vermont for years. In the fall. Our kids have been, but not us. Your shots are beautiful! Like Norman Rockwell.

Olde Dame Holly said...

I doubt I will get to travel again so I especially appreciate seeing your beautiful photographs! Vermont is breathtaking.

Theresa said...

Oh my, what beauty! I want to go EVERYWHERE:) I would love to go up the coast, any of them and just keep driving... stopping in all of the little cities! That's a dream of mine to do someday! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Valerie said...

New England is definitely on our bucket list; especially since my high schooler is seriously considering some colleges/unis on the East Coast for Environmental Sciences! Would love to visit Stowe, VT.

Hugs from Kansas...where I always try to find beauty in the prairie!

Pam said...

Beautiful music for sure. We've visited all the states except for Alaska and the Northeastern region. Bet Vermont is beautiful but doubt we will ever get up that way now. So thanks for post, I enjoyed reading it! Take care

TARYTERRE said...

Vermont is gorgeous any time of the year. Loved my visits there. I love the old music too.

It's me said...

Wowwww....beautiful.....love from me Ria 🍀💕🍀

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the memory of one of my favorite oldies, Carol. And also thanks for the memories of VT, which we have also visited several times over the years we have lived here in New England. We would have returned to Woodstock, VT, this year to buy a flannel shirt from Vermont Flannel but instead bought online. Stowe is another VT city we have enjoyed. Hopefully, we and you can return again.