Powered by Blogger.

2021 in 2021

 

Bye Bye, peppercorns, and 2020 things I no longer need. 

This is the time of year I join millions of other people and think about goals for the year ahead. For a number of years I've posted about No-Spending January. My goal has been to stop unnecessary buying and refocus after holiday shopping and going out. Actually last March I entered into a no-spending mindset that outdid anything I ever thought of in No-Spending January. Not that I haven't bought anything for most of 2020, but I've significantly cut down my discretionary spending. My biggest splurge has been Netflix and virtual events, but they have been nowhere near the cost of theater tickets I've bought in the past. My spending on personal care -- haircuts and color -- is down by at least 80 per cent and I bought a new coat, two pairs of leggings and two shirts in 2020. 

I've been reading about 2021 in 2021, and this year I'm joining a year long decluttering challenge. I'm not sure where I first read about the 2021 Decluttering Challenge, but it really resonated with me. Initially the thought of discarding 2021 things was overwhelming, but as I thought about it -- and did a few calculations -- I realized the challenge was actually 44 items every week, and a lot more doable. 

My goal for each week is to clear out one area. I've done my bra drawer (part of a project for donations to a program that collects bras for women in homeless shelters) and four bras have been donated. Next stop is my spice section in the kitchen and the peppercorns shown above and any other long expired spices will be added to the list. I'm planning to donate to Goodwill twice a month and as soon as fabric recycling begins again, I'll be regularly donating there, too.  

What are your projects and goals for 2021? My other major project is an exercise challenge and I will be posting about it in the next few days. 

Later today, I'll be posting our first Wedding Wednesday post of 2021. I hope you'll stop by to meet the bride and groom. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

10 comments

Miss Kim said...

2021 things really does seem like a LOT of stuff! But breaking it down into weekly decluttering seems a lot more manageable. I could try it, especially in my so-called 'storage room':)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I always plan on decluttering and do so in spurts throughout the year, but I should do more. . Spices are a once a year project. Because I can’t read the small print on the jars, I write the date I bought them on the front of the jar with a black marker before I put them away. It makes it so much easier and quicker to get rid of the old jars that have expired..

acorn hollow said...

I have already donated a lot I filled my car on New Year's day and donated to a local thrift store that was open. I have a small car but It was full! Felt good to get it out of the house. I have started a new box that I will fill as I clean and weed out. I have spent a fair amount on my rug hooking hobby this past year and plants for my garden. But it is a good goal
Cathy

NanaDiana said...

I didn't see that challenge anywhere but I am on board. I am all about continuing to declutter this year, too! I did quite a bit last year but need to continue on the path. Thanks for the encouragement as I will be following along on your blog. I also am cutting spending dramatically this year. xo Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Declutering seems to be an on going job for me. I've had to empty my cupboards so AI'm planning to be very selective when I finally get to put things back in them. AI have way too many dishes for only one person. But AI think there is always a chance, I may get company. These days though that has happened. Good for you doing so much.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am constantly decluttering, just a bit every day. I will be going through my spices later today. And am totally re-arranging my dresser drawers. We have been doing a dropoff at Goodwill maybe once a week. It does kind of give you a new project to wake up to and get excited about.

Karen said...

I've done 40 bags in 40 days for Lent. At first I thought that 2,021 sounded impossible, but I guess it's not much more. Maybe I should give it a try. I can sit here and think of 100 things without getting up from my chair.

Olde Dame Holly Rose said...

I did some sudden, unexpected, and difficult decluttering on my move to a new state a bit over a year ago! I no longer own 2,021 items, unless we are counting individual beans, beads, and rice! My rooms look like monks' cells. But I have already latched onto some additional things and need to quash that mindset, especially in terms of crafting items. And I WANT to let go of my basic greediness for beads and fabric. One great thing about living on the border is that it is easy to find good homes for my "treasures" due to the poverty here. I'm so glad you posted about this 2021 in 2021 effort because it's inspired me to go through my items with a more positive feeling.

Selma Espinosa said...

Just few days to our wedding anniversary, my husband he stopped coming home and would not take my calls. I had to talk to a friend and she suggested I contact a spell caster who could help me bring back his love and attention. It was the first time I heard such stuff existed, I give it a try with high expectations. After my contact with the Priest spellcaster, he helped me cast a spell that made my husband return home to me and our kids. I know a lot of people need this to help them stay happy in their marriages. You can contact Priest Obongibok let him help you; write him on email obongibok @ priest.com or Whats App +13612367973

Selma Espinosa

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I don't make resolutions, Carol, I do have some "goals" this year. One is to sort through my photo albums and remove photos of certain people, put them in another album and send them the book. I have amassed way too many family photos over the years and want to share them with the subjects vs. waiting until the day that others will make these decisions. (And, I do hope that day is a long ways off.) I', also not boing to the Internet for recipes, but instead relying on my own cookbook collection, like in the good old days. And this way I can weed out those cookbooks which are not useful vs. keeping them on the bookshelf. Thanks for posting about your plans as well.