Powered by Blogger.

O Canada!

 
Happy Canada Day

Today we're taking an arm chair visit to Ottawa, Canada's capital, to celebrate the day Canada became self-governing in 1867. Ottawa is one of my favorite cities and I've had the  good fortune to visit there a number of times. I was hoping for a follow-up to this summer to a trip I made in August, 2019. K and I had a wonderful time and I'm hoping you enjoy our virtual follow up.   

Welcome to Ottawa!

We're starting our day at one of my favorite places in Ottawa, ByWard Market. The market encompasses four blocks in the center of Ottawa. It includes formal restaurants, cafes, stores and a terrific farmer's market. We especially enjoyed a French cafe and started our day with a wonderful cafe au lait. It was so good that I drank it before I could take a picture.

Beautiful vegetables! I wish I could have taken them home with me.
 

We're spending the afternoon at the National Gallery of Canada. We'll see the Gauguin Portraits exhibit and then go to a great photography show of work by the Canadian-American street photographer, Dave Heath. I was familiar with Gauguin's work, but Dave Heath's work was a complete surprise to me. There were very few people there and I had an extraordinary array of photographs almost all to myself. We'll finish our visit with a time in the gift shop. It's definitely a struggle not to choose one of everything,but I managed to contain myself. 

Ottawa by night
 
After a rest -- after all we've walked all over the center of Ottawa-- let's find a seafood restaurant in ByWard Market and then enjoy the view of the city from the hotel roof. The air is cool and the lights are sparkling. There's a rooftop bar if we'd like cocktail refreshment and linger in this perfect moment. 

I've enjoyed our perfect day in Ottawa celebrating Canada Day, and hope you have, too. I'm not going to focus on not being able to visit this summer, but I'm going to look forward to next summer. Ottawa, I hope to be back in 2021.  

Our next national day celebration will be later this month. We'll be visiting France to celebrate Bastille Day on July 14. 

Thanks for visiting and take good care! Much love and stay well. 

8 comments

Dorothy In PA said...

I enjoyed the trip. I think visiting the National Gallery was my favorite part. The meal at the seafood restaurant was divine.

Chatty Crone said...

Very pretty area - everything looked so fresh, new, and clean.

Ginny Hartzler said...

A wonderful trip, I enjoyed every second! My favorite may be the stunning nighttime shot! This will be the only time I will ever be able to go to Canada.

Ginny Hartzler said...

How wonderful that you joined a bird group! I recommend Roger Torey Peterson's bird guide. We have been birders for over 40 years.

Theresa said...

Oh what a wonderful trip, thanks for taking me along:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit and plenty to see. I'v been to Canada, but not Ottawa only as far as the Canadian Falls. What a wonderful treat to travel to France too. I'll be looking forward to hearing about that too.

The Liberty Belle said...

Thanks for taking me along on a virtual trip. The market and National Gallery certainly seem like worthy places to go. Nice pics.

Susie said...

Great photos Buttercup. I sure would love to visit that fresh market. It all looks so good. Blessings for a safe 4th, take care. xoxo, Susie