Powered by Blogger.

R Is for Rome (and a Side Trip to Venice)

It's time for a Roman and a Venetian holiday

If I had a ten top list of places to visit, Italy would be near the top of the list. I actually don't have a list of favorites, but I do love Italy. Venice and the Amalfi Coast are probably my top choices, but Rome isn't very far behind. My last trip to Italy was in 2002 and I am definitely overdue for another visit.  

The picture above was from my first visit in 1982. It was a quick whirlwind to Rome, Florence and Venice in eight days. My friend and I cut it so close returning to Rome from Venice that we nearly missed the plane home. But we got to spend thirty-six hours in Venice, and it was love at first sight. 
I learned a valuable lesson on that trip. It is impossible to see all of Italian history in eight days, no matter how much you race around Italy. We managed to see many of the major sights in Rome, including one of the Seven New Wonders of the World, the Colosseum of Rome. Alas, there are no photographs, but the photograph above at the Roman Forum takes its place. 


When I first looked at this picture I was sure I was at the Trevi Fountain, of "Three Coins in the Fountain" fame, but when I looked at pictures of the Trevi Fountain, I realized I was somewhere else entirely. I'm at the Fountain of the Four Rivers in one of my favorite places in Rome, the Piazza Navona. It is a fabulous place to sit outside at Bar Tre Scalini and enjoy the specialty ice cream dessert, the Tartufo, composed of delicious chocolate ice cream and whipped cream. I first "discovered" Bernini in Art History 101 freshman year in college and was thrilled to be able to see his sculpture masterpieces in person. 

  The Grand Canal in Venice

If I was a poet I'd be writing odes about Venice. My first trip to Venice was thirty-six hours, the second almost a week and the third trip not quite two weeks. My last trip to Venice was the relaxed and leisurely visit to Venice I had dreamed about. I stayed in an apartment far from the tourist center of Venice, the Piazza San Marco. I enjoyed seeing the famous sights, but I had just as much enjoyment shopping for groceries in my neighborhood, the Cannaregio, and having an espresso in a local cafe. 

One of my favorite historic sites in Venice, is Il Redentore, the Sixteenth Century Church of the Most Holy Redeemer. Designed by the famed architect, Palladio, it was built in thanksgiving for the end of a plague that had devastated Venice (1575-76). It's estimated that over 25% of Venice's population died during these plague years. The church sits on one of the many islands that make up Venice, Giudecca. The church was completed in 1592 and the Festa del Redentore, a celebration of the end of the plague, is still celebrated on the third Sunday in July.  

Il Redentore and a gondolier
The gondola is the symbol of Venice, but I've never ridden in a gondola. I did take a water taxi once -- which used a motor -- and all my other travel in Venice was by vaparetto, mass tranist via water.

Laundry day in Venice, 1982

I've loved my visit to Italy and so wish we could sit in the Piazza Navona, have an espresso and a tartufo and enjoy a sweet visit together. I don't let myself think about traveling in the future, there are just so many uncertainties now. But I'm yearning to return to Italy. It may just have gone to the top of my travel list for someday, whenever that may be. We're staying in Europe for our next A to Z adventure, but this time it's a quick 1300 miles.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands! 

15 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

These were sure the trips of a lifetime. Your pictures are wonderful, right down to the laundry. The stature look huge, I bet you felt dwarfed under them.

Chatty Crone said...

Looks like you were very young when the travel bug bit. Now guess what - I went to Venice in my late teens - but I don't seem to remember it quite as good as you do - thanks for the memories.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

One day, I will travel to Venice ;) Beautiful places, great memories here!
U is for Unique Style

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I visited Rome many years ago, but never Venice. That said I have "visited" by reading Donna Leon's mystery books, which are set there, still it's not quite the same as being there.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's always been my dream to travel to Italy and really stay long enough to experience the lifestyle. I guess I would need to move there to do that! lol But it's fun to see your photos! Be safe!

Star said...

I love the laundry picture. It takes me back to ny childhood memories, reminds me of my grandmother

Theresa said...

LOOK at you! What beautiful pictures of you and lots of gorgeous sites. I am thankful to see so many awesome places thru your eyes. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

TARYTERRE said...

loving today's tour. beautiful places, indeed. but i'm partial to Venice.

Mevely317 said...

Great pictures! How fun (knowing we're the same age) to see a 32-y/o Buttercup … so cute!
I've no memories of my only visit to Venice (1957), but later trips to Tuscany were some of my favorites. I, too, would love to return someday.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Such a beautiful place to visit. I'm glad you got to spend more time than the 36 hours. There would be so much to see and do. I can see why you'd like to go back. Hope you have a great weekend. We're to have more fain here.

Lowcarb team member said...

I was fortunate to visit Italy on several occasions and loved it.
So good to see your photographs, a lovely post.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Kerin said...

Wonderful pictures!
I hope that you are able to visit those places again one day.

Have a lovely weekend.

~K.

Sam I Am...... said...

Thank you so much for letting me 'armchair' travel with you.

NanaDiana said...

We were supposed to be spending more than half this month in Europe with my daughter and her family and, well...sadly...you know the rest.
What wonderful memories here and great, fun old pictures. I hope you can get back there sometime in the future. xo Diana

LC said...

We did Italy in about the same time, just into Rome, then Florence then Venice. All three cities were once-in-a lifetime experiences. None of our three lodging places were in the heart of busy tourist areas. Each was unique, lovely and in pleasant neighborhoods,