Powered by Blogger.

Cookies or No Cookies: That is the Question

My most recent food shipment, plus a bottle of vitamins

I joined Imperfect Foods in January and got every other week deliveries until the last few weeks, when I began weekly deliveries. They have really, really healthy foods and I am so appreciative that I can get fresh fruits and vegetables and great protein delivered at reasonable prices. They rarely have many sweets, so it's not usually a temptation. But we know this isn't usually. 
In this week's box I saw two small boxes of cookies. One was milk chocolate and melty caramel and the other is a package of dark chocolate wafer bars. I need them, don't I? I've eaten almost no sweets or chips this entire time and I'm not wanting to go on a junk food binge -- I'd like to wear the same clothes in July -- but...
 Is one package of cookies so bad?
Sincerely,
Cookie-less in New York

Last night I was leaning to definitely adding a package of cookies to my shipment. I have until noon tomorrow to order and the delivery will arrive sometime on Monday. So far, I have apples, oranges, onions, spinach, kale, pears, salmon and sliced turkey and a loaf of bread. I've gotten pretty creative with my air fryer and have made air fryer apple crisp, and I'm looking forward to varying my air fryer creations with pear crisp. Tonight I'm leaning away from ordering the cookies, and seeing if I can go another week without bringing sweets into my house. One of my friends suggested I could get them and then share them with my neighbors, but we're being very prudent about not going into each other's apartments. One of my neighbors has picked up food for me and she has left it outside my door and I have left newspapers outside her door.

Have you changed your eating habits? I have in many ways. I cook all the time now, which seems to be the new norm for those of us who are staying put. I am much more conscious of waste -- a habit that I know will carry over -- and I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible to keep my immune system happy and strong.

The box pictured above is from a website that sells healthy food. Thrive Market offers "healthy" foods and I've used them for no-sugar and low-carb options. I don't order a lot from them, but when they offered a discount, free shipping and lots of interesting shelf stable protein I ordered. I was happy to find my pumpkin flax Kodiak cakes and I'm experimenting with Right Rice and Banzo, which is rice made from chickpeas. If anyone is interested in ordering from Thrive, this link would give you 25% off, and for full disclosure I would get a $25.00 credit. Thrive is especially useful if you are looking for items for a special diet, e.g., gluten-free or ketogenic.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care of yourself. Much love and wash your hands!

14 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

I am trying to eat healthy during this time. One big reason is keeping my immune system in good shape.I am also walking outside a lot so help not only with my physical, but emotional health. Those cookies sound really good. Stay safe and well.

Terra said...

Imperfect Foods sounds interesting, I wonder if they are nation wide. The cookies sound tempting. I eat a small chocolate truffle every day!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Thanks for the tip on thrive Market! Maybe buy the cookies, but eat no more than one a day to make them last, and eat less sugar.

Janie Junebug said...

I'm eating more. I only ate one meal and one snack each day. Now that Carol lives with me, we eat more and we eat regularly. It's a good thing because my doctor thought that I didn't eat enough to lose weight (the lack of food put my body in starvation mode). I had a doctor's appointment a few days ago. I thought I had gained weight, although my clothes weren't tighter. Instead, my weight was the same it's been for a long time. I'm doing well at walking Franklin during the evening, so now that I've increased my exercise, I wonder if I might actually lose a few pounds. Pretty soon, though, it will be too hot to go out, even after the sun goes down.

Love,
Janie Junebug

JFM said...

Cookies are like going back in time and cookie jars actually had cookies inside of them.

Theresa said...

I mostly cook every day anyway but occasionally get take-out which I haven't done since the shut-down. Those box deliveries sound nice and convenient, order the cookies:) Enjoy your day dear friend, stay healthy up there! HUGS!

Linda M. Conley said...

chanting ((grin)) Cookie, cookies, cookies,lol...in all seriousness, we have been eating what has been here at home. Really can't get fresh vegies or fruit in the winter time here in western NY, we order Mom's Meals for my mil, which gives her a balanced meal. I did notice, the shelves have been restocked (except for paper products). I hope it stays this way (shelves stocked).

ANYWAYS, where was I? No, not really changing our eating habits, but we are being conservative because of the lack of food in the stores. Have a great day, friend!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am eating the cookies. Life is short and I see no reason to deny myself simple pleasures as long as I do it in moderation.

Order the cookies next time, Carol.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, Carol, we are eating a bit more perhaps because of self-isolation or feeling the need for a treat more often? A cookie treat sounds like a good idea, which we thought so as well and bought some recently from a supermarket bakery. After trying them, we knew they had to be put in the freezer to "save" ourselves from binging. We always did cook when at home, and are continuing to do so. However, we may do some takeout starting next week to help support local businesses as many eateries are providing take-out except for a handful which have shut down completely and hopefully can survive. We are re-using the plastic shopping bags, as we can no longer use own own carry-in, carry-out cloth ones, to carry out trash.

Chatty Crone said...

Hey you won Myra's contest!
You have the neatest things in NY.
Di you feel safe?
Hope you are staying in!
sandie

Mevely317 said...

When I 'cheat', I'm prone to go overboard … so having a portion-size delivery sounds like a win-win. I'm intrigued that Thrive offers keto-friendly offerings.
BTW, I've a surprise for you at my blog. :)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I don't think a cookie or two would hurt. It's all in the portions we eat. I happen to have a sweet tooth and crave something sweet every day. but since you are making apple crisp I suppose you have your sweetness in that. One of my sons and my daughter that live here in our hometown have deliver my groceries, but I like the idea of having a place to buy things and having them delivered. Eating healthy is very important to keeping our immune systems up.

Lowcarb team member said...

Healthy eating is important, but an occasional treat is nice and I like the sound of the dark chocolate wafer bars.

All the best Jan

Lonni said...

Your post was very interesting to me bc I thought Thrive was only for cosmetics!

Also, I really loved reading the posts from people who have been supporting restaurants with Take-out options- very conscientious of others in these times!