Powered by Blogger.

The Lights Are Bright on Broadway

Times Square, looking South

In the last few days several people in my extended circle have let me know that they are planning to visit New York City in the next few weeks. This is in addition to two friends already scheduled to visit this month, in March and April. With one exception, a Broadway show is on the itinerary for all of the  visitors. Love that folks are coming to New York and definitely want to encourage the trend. This week I'm going to do at least two posts, possibly three, on spending time in the Theater District. Today's post shares pictures of the Times Square area and a spot for theater-oriented souvenirs. 

Looking uptown from Times Square


My show of choice on Saturday night

Even after almost 45 years in New York City I still get excited going to the theater. The moment of excitement when the lights go down never goes away. I've been fortunate to be able to see a lot of shows. Some have been okay, some have been less than okay and some have been very good. Some have been extraordinary and I feel so blessed to be able to have seen them. Girl From the North Country was the most recent show and it was very good. It had a talented cast, great music and a captivating story.  Yes, tickets are expensive, but I shop around, look for deals and sometimes see the show from the very top row in the balcony. 

After the show I walked on from Sixth Avenue on West 44th Street to the bus on stop on Eighth Avenue. I passed a restaurant that's been a long-time favorite in the Theater District, Cafe Un Deux Trois, at 123 West 44th Street. It's a fun French cafe and a good choice for fixed price pre-theater dinner, that is good until midnight. 

Theater Circle, 268 West 44th Street, near Eighth Avenue

On my way to the bus stop I passed a (large) number  of places selling souvenirs. But Theater Circle stood out from the rest. Here you can find sheet music, programs, books and t-shirts from past and current Broadway shows. 

I hope you've enjoyed our visit to the Theater District. Tomorrow we ponder this question: Where can you find a good bagel in Times Square?

As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a terrific Tuesday! 

8 comments

Chatty Crone said...

Wish I was one of those friends coming to visit NEW YORK CITY!

Carol said...

OH one of my biggest items on my bucket list is to visit New York and see Times Square, a Broadway show, visit Macy's and FAO Schwartz, and see the Statue of Liberty and the 911 Memorial.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I loved this tour and all the wonderful photos you shared. I have not heard of that show but it is on my radar now. I hope to get to NYC this year.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Many years ago, when I was living in NJ I would take a bus to NYC sometimes to check out thenpurchase of photo equipment, other times ro see a show. Like you, Inalso looked for discounts and the discount booth, TKTS, at Times Square was where I always went. Those were fun days!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How blessed you are to be where the Theatre is alive and blooming. And to have friends to go with is an added bonus. The night life there is to be applauded!

Pam said...

Wish I was included. Sounds great!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I love going to Times Square and looking at all of the lights and people. We go every December to see a Broadway show for my birthday. It's nice that you just saw a show and you took such nice photos.

DeniseinVA said...

I've never ever been to time square in the day time let alone at night. It must have been magical. Lovely seeing your photos.