Powered by Blogger.

Today's the Day to (Officially) Appreciate a Penguin

Buttercupland appreciates penguins every day!

The general image of penguins is that of fuzzy animals tap dancing on ice, thanks to Happy Feet. But I learned that their habitats are not all ice and snow. These Gentoo Penguins  prefer ice-free areas and clearly, here in the Falkland Islands (Las Malvinas) their environment is dry and grassy. 

Buttercup and the penguins, February 2017

Yes, I'm very windblown here, but my denim jacket and gloveless hands give you an idea of the temperature. The penguins and I were both very happy in the mild climate. I had already seen penguins in Patagonia, where it was a lot brisker and later in the trip, had a wonderful day in eighty degree weather in another site in Argentina. I may share those pictures on April 25, World Penguin Day. 

Very happily, I'm coughing much less. I'm not "all better," but definitely much better. I'm still tired, but I had a nice walk this afternoon and am beginning to suffer from cabin-fever. The latter is a sure sign of recovery. I did some serious decluttering, listed a few items on eBay and looking forward to blog visits later today. I may just be ready to return to Yoga tomorrow. 

I've had three good No-Spending Days. Both Saturday and yesterday were no snack days, for a savings of $10.00. I also saved $20.00, by using a coupon in found in my email for the New Times Travel Show this coming weekend. Today was a snack day. I treated myself to a latte at Dunkin Donuts. I enjoyed a sugar-free almond latte during the afternoon latte special, for the grand total of $2.16, and savings from my snack "allowance" of $2.84.   
My Savings Total for January, as of January 20: $114.79.

As ever, thanks for visiting and keep cozy!

10 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Glad you are feeling better. I would love to go somewhere and see penguins up close - other than the zoo. I love all the savings you have experienced in January. Good for you!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm glad you are better too! Take care and don't rush it. Love seeing the penguins...and you of course!

Susie said...

Carol, What a cute picture of you. That was a lot of penguins. You are doing so very well saving this month. One of my daughters is trying to not spend this month and if she has to , she finds a coupon. I love seeing her do this. I have always told her she never owned a penny she didn't squeeze the dickens out of it. Glad you are feeling better. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

I love penguins too. Glad you are feeling a bit better. sandie

Susan said...

Oh my goodness. Where were you when you saw all those sweet penguins? Thanks for your visit to my blog, Writing Straight from the Heart, and your comment, too. Loved that you stopped by. Susan

TARYTERRE said...

what a wonderful way to celebrate those sweet creatures. i'm all in. happy Appreciate a Penguin day. you were so lucky to see them in person. what terrific memories.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a nice memory of warmer days and a sandy beach.I never knw that penguins like it warmer too. I always picture them in ice and snow. Now you're feeling better take care and don't over do.

NanaDiana said...

I am so glad you are feeling better! It is rough being sick this time of year. I have had some sort of sinus thing going on for weeks now. UGH

Penguins have always fascinated me. When I was a kid there was a program called HunkyKukny (or something similar) (pre-Sesame Street) There was a song on there that went:
Look there, daddy, do you see
There's a bird in its tuxedo
No that's not just a bird at all
that's what people call a penguin.
Oh! I see! Well, it still looks like a
bird in a tuxedo to me!
It was so cute- they had those songs about several different animals, too.
Hugs- Diana

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice to see you among the penguins, BC, and we celebrate them every day simply by our blog title🙂 One day I will do a post on the how and why we choose the title, which has never changed even though we live in a different state then when it was created.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

How fun! Patagonia! Wow!
It seems a wild and wonderful place. I'd like to see it someday.