Powered by Blogger.

Seven Out of Ten

Upper West Side Doorway

I finally caught up with my audiologist this afternoon. As part of checking in with the receptionist I was asked for a photo ID and my insurance card. My response was "Of course." The tone of the very nice woman made me ask if most people who came to the office were unable to produce either. Her response surprised me. She said that seven out of ten patients carried neither ID or insurance cards to their appointment. I was just about speechless. 

Most of us at the audiologist are Baby Boomers and Beyond Baby Boomers. I believed that we are people who  make sure we have some kind of identification when we step out of the house. We might never need it, but on the very off-chance, G'd forbid, something happened, we would need both identification and insurance cards. I've been trying to remember the last time I left home without some kind of ID. My guess is probably some time in college. Once I got to New York in 1975 it would be a very rare occasion that I was roaming the streets without ID and as time went by, insurance card and a credit card. I know this is Manhattan and a percentage of people may not have driver's license, but there are non-drivers license IDs, too.   

My question, dear friends in Buttercupland, do you leave home without any identification? What other items do you always carry with you? Lipstick? Wallet? Phone? Seven out of ten or three out of ten? 

I'm happy to have seen my audiologist and back to wearing my hearing aids again. I got very lax about wearing them -- no good reason -- but I'm back in business and it's great to hear a noisier world. Fortunately my hearing has remained stable and I'm committed to being more compliant. 

One day (and a half) left for No-Spending January. I was early for my audiology appointment and stopped for coffee on the way. I spent $3.00 for coffee, but I had a cozy place to wait between appointments. I've got a $2.00 snack savings for today. 
My No-Spending January total: $164.16

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is unbelievable! I do not carry my I.D. everywhere, but ALWAYS to a doctor or dentist appointment! And it seems like most seniors should know that by now. I am thinking it is not on purpose, they just forget.

Granny Marigold said...

Hi Buttercup, Thanks for visiting my blog.
I carry ID with me everywhere I go, even on my daily walk. I can't think why anyone would fail to bring ID and other important papers along to an appointment.

Chatty Crone said...

I carry mine every where I go - I can't believe the (dumb) people who don't bring ID to a doctor's appointment. Doesn't everyone know to bring them?

Deanna Rabe said...

I always carry ID and have my phone with me. If I don’t take my wallet (a rare occurrence) I take my drivers license and credit card out of my wallet and bring those with me!

Glad you are hearing better these days!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I am always sure to bring proper ID to a medical office on the thankfully few occasions I need to go there. Actually, I visit the dental office more often and since we self-insure (no dental insurance) all they require is a credit card for payment. When I go out for walks, I will admit to carrying minimal items. A cell phone is a definite certainly and it has a card with my name and address in the case. Sometimes, I carry a credit card and some cash. It all depends on where I am going that day.

Theresa said...

Yes, I always have ID, Insurance card, lipstick, phone and an umbrella:) Gotta take these items, you never know when you might need them! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I always have my id and insurance cards along with me. You never know what may happen so it's better to be prepared. I usually have more than I need in my purse, but it's better to have more than not enough in my books. Nice to be able to hear better for your sake and that of others too.

Mevely317 said...

I'm stunned to hear that! Even when I go walking in the park, I'll slip my driver's license and insurance cards tucked in my fanny pack. Oh, and a $5 bill, just in case.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It depends. Most occasions I carry a very small purse which contains my driver’s license, my phone, $20 and a credit card. If I am going into town or a mall, I take a larger (but still small) purse with my insurance card. Up until last year our Medicare card j had our SS number on it and I only took that with me if I was going to a doctor. I am so glad they finally changed that.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I usually carry mine everywhere I go except to walk the dog and then I always have my phone with me.

Linda said...

I always carry my enhanced NY drivers license, which includes (I have a Vera Bradley id case) debit/bank card, student id, insurance card, library card and always a $10 or $20 bill. My dad always said to carry a quarter, well, that was when one could find a phone booth, not so anymore. I also carry lipstick, comb and small can of hairspray (you know, because winter time in NY -one has hat hair, lol). I also carry my smart phone...actually just got into the 21st century and updated the phone.

As always enjoyed the post, smiles.