Powered by Blogger.

My Heart and Prayers Are in Australia


With my koala buddy, KiKi

Exactly two years ago, I was getting ready for the trip of a lifetime. I was about set off for almost three weeks in Australia. I planned to join a tour for two of those weeks and also spend time independently in Melbourne and Sydney.  The trip surpassed my expectations. I got to cuddle a koala, see sights of extraordinary beauty and spend time with my bloggy buddy, Little Wandering Wren in Melbourne. 

I am beyond heartbroken at the scenes of devastation throughout Australia. More than twelve million acres have been scorched and hundreds of thousands of animals have died. I know that this isn't the usual happy post of Buttercupland, but the situation so moved my heart I want to make my contribution to a place that welcomed me so completely. 

  I was so excited to see a wallaby in the area outside of Melbourne.

I reached out to friends I made while I was there for a suggestion for donations. My buddies at Chicken or The Egg suggested WIRES, Australian Wildlife Information and Rescue Services. I am not fundraising, but I know in times of disaster we often look for credible organizations to contribute to and this group is doing great work. 

On a completely different note, I'm doing well with No-Spending January. My only expense for today was $1.09 for coffee at 7-11. I also comparative shopped yogurt in the neighborhood and found the least expensive place was my local Walgreen's where it was $1.49 vs. $2.29 at the grocery down the street.  
Total saving on January 5: $30.89

Tomorrow morning I'm leaving for my first trip of 2020, a quick visit to Vermont to see my dear friends, K and J. The airport presents unique challenges for No-Spending. Coffee is twice the price of anywhere else and the same for food. I'm not going to go hungry, but I will look around for good value. I downloaded several library books to my Kindle, so I won't be tempted by books or magazines.

I don't plan to post while I'm away, but will be posting "Vermont in Winter" on my Instagram page. If you would like to follow, here is the link, buttercupnyc.

As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a great week!

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

The fires are heartbreaking. I heard today that almost all the koalas have been wiped out. I enjoyed seeing this picture of you! Hope you have a wonderful trip, and come back with lots of pictures.

Chatty Crone said...

So very sad - we must pray for rain. I heard half a billion animals have died - surely that cannot be correct.
You did have a trip of a lifetime there.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

These devastating fires are so heartbreaking. I wonder why they don't get more news coverage?

Susie said...

Carol, I am praying for Australia too. It's so scary what is happening with the fires. I really fear for the animals, some are not as fast as others and can't escape. Praying for all of us, in this New Year. Blessings, be safe on your trip. xoxo, Susie

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Enjoy your trip in beautiful Vermont.

The news and pictures from Australia are heartbreaking. It is a disaster that will change the country for decades.


Janet said...

Love the Koala picture. It is terrible to think that they may be gone.


Janet’s Smiles

TARYTERRE said...

so very sad about what's happening in Australia. i'm sure they will accept even the smallest gesture in regards to help. thanks for the information. have a wonderful time in vermont. i absolutely loved visiting there. it is picturesque. safe travels. enjoy.

Theresa said...

I am SO sad for all affected by the fires in Australia. I remember you going! That is the sweetest picture of you and your friend. Enjoy your trip to Vermont and I will be here waiting to hear all about it when you return. HUGS!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Carol, a massive thank you for your post and to your readers for their comments of love and support. Yes, it seems a long time ago that we were having our fun lunch together in the Chicken or the Egg, doesn't it?

We have had rain here in my part of Australia (not that near to the bushfires) but the sheer scale of fires across the country is immense. Beyond heartbroken is how we all feel here. I find the animal situation the hardest to deal with, Wires is a good choice to support.

Have a lovely trip to Vermont and good luck with your no spending January.

Wren x

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have never been fortunate enough (yet) to visit Australia and hope that if and when I do visit, there is still some wildlife to see. The fires are heartbreaking just as they were in in the western part of the country.