Powered by Blogger.

Happy Thanksgiving

Radio City Music Hall on a rainy day

As promised, today begins the "City Sidewalks, Busy Sidewalks" holiday decoration posts for 2019. I'm starting with a favorite, Radio City Music Hall, site of the Christmas Spectacular. I've seen the Christmas show easily a dozen times, beginning in the early 1960's. It was beyond spectacular to my fifth or sixth grade self and it remains a wonderful event. If you're coming to New York City in this season, it's a terrific show, especially if you're bringing children. 

Thanksgiving 1983

One of the joys of decluttering -- besides having more order and space -- is finding treasures. I discovered this photo of Thanksgiving 1983 and I am so thankful. My aunt, now of blessed memory is on the right, my mother is standing next to her and my cousins, who joined us for every holiday are front and left. I'm sitting next to my mother and my cousin, Marcia is sitting across from me. One of my New York friends is next to me. 

I'm sure we had at least one kind of pie, but it's not on the table. I do see what looks like chocolate cake. Despite the fact that Mississippi Mud Cake is not traditional for the holiday, my mother added it to the Thanksgiving menu about this time and it became a regular part of our array of goodies.  

 Time to return to 2019 and  Thanksgiving today. I've enjoyed hearing from family and friends. I love the calls, cards, messages and turkey gifs. In a couple of hours I'll be on route to my friends who are family for turkey, pumpkin bread and gratitude. Hope your day is filled with many happy moments. 

Happy Thanksgiving!
   

8 comments

Carol Henstra said...

Thank you for comment to my blog. Yes memories with pictures are golden. I have an album I take to my husband to the hospital of memories. I sti on his bed and we look at the grandkids when they were small and now they are in there middle 20's. He enjoys them. Yes my family loves New York. My friends also. That was on there Do List.

Now the big thing the young ones like is Canadas Niagara Falls Christmas lights. My one Granddaughter went a few weeks ago. Loved it. She is a teacher. It even had the Disney characters all lighted up. Christmas is nice just too short.

Nawm D Gerr said...

Thank you so much for this! Have always wanted to go to NYC for the holidays.

Mevely317 said...

I'm truly delighted to see this photo, Carol! You look so beautiful and happy, and it's nice seeing your sweet mother. Sweet memories!

TARYTERRE said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING. hope you had a wonderful day.

Theresa said...

Beautiful scenes in your city! The family gathered at the table is a precious picture to find! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

NanaDiana said...

Those old photos are bittersweet, aren't they? There are some that are hard to look at for me still--of those that I loved that are no longer a part of this world.
Wonderful post-I am purging, too. xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

Hi Buttercup-Thanks for playing along on the Pick Your Table game. Would you mind sending me your direct email addy? I promise not to spam you or try to sell you anything. lol Mine is dianakos1@gmail.com. I would just like to be able to reply to your comments directly. Thanks...won't give it to anyone else either. xo Diana

Laurel Wood said...

Love the photo of Radio City Music Hall! What a treasure this photograph is. Thanks for sharing it with us. You have made me hungry for chocolate cake!
I hope your Thanksgiving was very nice. xo