Powered by Blogger.

The Gas Line Saga, Part II

 Flowers on Fifth Avenue. #momentfromlastweek
 
From time to time my friends who don't live in New York tell me what an exciting life I must lead. I'm sure they're thinking of television shows and movies where there's always a place to park  and life's problems are resolved in at most sixty minutes. Even the grittier Law and Order wraps up every issue in sixty minutes, no matter how difficult the issue is. 
 
Life in New York is not "Friends" or "Will and Grace," and the last week has brought this back to me, big time. Right now a truck is parked next to my building. It is a "temporary" source of heat so we can have hot water. We spent twenty-four hours last week without hot water while the NYC Department of Transportation provided a parking permit for the truck. In the next three months -- in time for "heat season" -- whatever needs to be done to our furnace will be done, so that our 1910 building will have heat. It's not glamorous, but it's real life in New York City.
 
It's six days into the Gas Line Saga and so far I'm faring okay. Right now I'm depending on my trusty microwave and beginning to start using the air fryer. I baked one small pudding cheesecake in the air fryer and I'm ready to get into more serious baking. I realized I needed a small baking pan that would fit into my air fryer, and I will look for that in the next few days. Right now I think the only other thing I may need is a single burner for eggs, pancakes and stir-frys. Fortunately, I don't have a family to feed, so I can get by with pretty much with what I have.  
 
I have two friends in the neighborhood that have not had gas in their buildings for the last year. When I learned this I realized that my building's problem was not rare or isolated. Sadly, as infrastructure is neglected, these issues will occur more frequently, and that, my friends, is real life in New York City.       
 
I'll be back tomorrow with a very fun Wedding Wednesday. I hope you'll be back to join me.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and thanks, too, for all the good suggestions and good wishes. Much, much appreciated. 
 

 


11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so very sorry this is still going on!!!

Chatty Crone said...

I am sorry it is still going on too - I guess they really need to update the infrastructure. sandie

Theresa said...

I am sorry you are going thru this but "this too shall pass" and you'll be all get your gas back on. It sounds like you are making the best of it. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Deanna Rabe said...

That is amazing to me that they’ve not had gas to their apartments for a year! Wow! Infrastructure is important!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully it is not winter when we need the heat to keep warm, Sounds like you need an old fashioned hot plate to cook on. They do still sell them. I had one in my camper when I used to camp. It did the job just fine. Hope your gas line problems are a thing of the past really soon. !

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am so sorry you will be inconvenienced this way.. As the great Gilda Radnor used to say, “iIt’s always something.”. Meanwhile, have fun experimenting with your air fryer. I don’t use mine often, but when I do, the food is good and it is fun to use.

Denise said...

Years ago when one of my sons was majoring in criminal justice, he wanted to apply for a position with NYPD. I told him that NYC was not like an episode on Seinfeld. Now he works aa an accountant for a private country club.

Terra said...

Your building might have a party celebrating when the gas is restored. I would miss my daily shower and am glad to hear there is a temporary fix. Does that mean there will be heat available if needed? You are coping well dear friend.

Mimi said...

Doesn't matter where you live. Things happen. Hang in there.

Kerin said...

Well, you are certainly 'roughing it' in the big city.
I am one who wouldn't have guessed that there are problems like that in a big city.

~K.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

I do hope that you get by with cooking in the microwave and the air fryer and that your situation goes by fast for you for the next few months. What a challenge for you.
Thanks so much for your lovely visit to my blog. Hope you have a nice weekend.