Powered by Blogger.

(The Morning After) The Manhattan Power Outage 2019

Twelve hours and a mile north of last night's Manhattan power outage,
Sunday morning at the West Side Community Garden
 
My planned activity for this week's Big City Saturday Night was an after dinner walk to watch the sunset over the Hudson River. I'd spent an hour trying on sneakers -- not one pair fit -- and then went to Columbus Circle to grocery shop at Whole Foods. After shopping I made dinner, cleaned up the kitchen and caught up on the New York Times, while I listened to music. It was calm and peaceful -- no television and my phone was quiet. As I was walking out of my building I saw a message from a friend in Pennsylvania, "Do you have power?"
 
We did, indeed, have power. The Manhattan Blackout of 2019 extended from Times Square at West 42nd St. to West 72nd St. My building is not quite a mile north of 72nd Street. Aside from an occasional fire truck it was a typically quiet summer Saturday evening. Riverside Park, on the Hudson River, was lively, but not crowded, and there were a number of people walking their dogs. The Whole Foods where I had been just a few hours before had been evacuated and the subway beneath it, as well. Several thousand people had been stuck on subways on my regular line and led out of the stalled trains by subway personnel. Thankfully, I wasn't one of them.
 
By 11:00 power began to be restored in the area and I got a text from my friend, J., whose building is in the center of the blackout zone, that their electricity was back. And twelve hours later and a mile north you see a serene moment at the West Side Community Garden in its summer plumage.
 
Otherwise, it's been a quiet weekend. I had a long list of errands I wanted to accomplish and I'm happy to report I checked a number of them off my list. I've got two days of medical tests this week and I wanted to get as much done as I could before my first test on Tuesday afternoon. I start tomorrow off with water aerobics and then I'm continuing with the "Great Sneaker Hunt." Does anyone else have trouble finding shoes that are comfortable?
 
As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and have a happy and healthy week! 


13 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so glad the outage did not affect you much! Yes, I have all kinds of trouble finding shoes that fit. Are you having health problems? Being a new follower, I did not know.

Chatty Crone said...

You were very lucky with that blackout - New York is wonderfully amazing - and things happen there all the time.

TARYTERRE said...

glad to hear the blackout didn't effect you. good luck finding sneakers. i too have trouble finding shoes that fit.

Laurel Wood said...

My sister and I had been concerned about you when we read about the outage. So thankful you were not w/o power. All the best with your medical tests this week. Like many, I have difficulty finding sneakers that are comfortable, too. Living in a small town with few stores is not good for shopping!
Blessings in the new week. xo

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I did not hear of the power outage until it was over. I am glad that it did not affect you and your day was not spoiled. Good luck on your medical tests this week.

I usually don’t have trouble finding comfortable shoes. The most comfortable I am, though, is when I am in bare feet or just in comfy socks.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I found hiking shoes a few years ago and then couldn't find the brand again. Columbia bought them. They are Montrails. Anyway, when I found some online I got those! It really is hard to go to a new brand or even a new style. Glad you had a good weekend! Hugs!

Deanna Rabe said...

I'm glad you weren't affected by the outage!

I really like sketchers and find them very comfortable!

Terra said...

Good luck finding sneakers. I find Sketchers comfortable though noticed I had to go up a half size this year. Same with sandals, up a half size. Propet are a nice brand and they have many widths which is helpful for me as I found a narrow pair. That was good you weren't hit with the outage.

Ann said...

Glad you didn't get hit with the power outage.
I have a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable for work. I can wear sneakers but I'm on my feet all day and even those can get uncomfortable after standing for a while. I've found that the ones that work the best for me are either sketchers or nike.

Mevely317 said...

New Balance has always worked well for me.
It's my understanding Vionics are the gold standard, but I'm not willing to pay that sort of $ just now.

Lonni said...

Sneaker hunt / hmmmm- sounds familiar...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's good to hear you were not a part of that power outage. I read about it in the news and they say it could happen again soon too. Yes, I have a terrible time finding any kind of show that fits right and is comfortable. When I do, I usually buy 2 pair! Right now I have a new pair of sneakers in my closet just in case...They are made by Sketchers.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Here's to another calm and peaceful week (with power and perfect fit sneakers!)
Wren x