Powered by Blogger.

Remembering Doris Day

We remember you, Doris Day, with love and sweet memories
 
I've now spent a sweet and nostalgic hour listening to Doris Day videos. I've been transported back to my childhood in Hartford. Whether it was singing her signature song "Que Sera Sera" with my grandmother, an enormous Doris Day fan, or seeing all of her movies at our neighborhood theater, The Lenox, she was a presence in my life. There was "Pajama Game," and "Pillow Talk," and perhaps my favorite of all of her movies, "That Touch of Mink." 
 
The biggest female star in the early 1960s, her era -- like that of so many other actors and musicians -- faded by the end of the decade. But remembering Doris Day brings back so many memories of a time that I don't think about very much, the dreaded junior high school years. One description of her was "eternal virgin," but for an awkward junior high school girl it was comforting to know that "nice" girls could have fun and interesting lives.  
 
Thank you, Doris Day, for "My Secret Love" and "Hey There" and more hours of music than I can ever count. Thank you for movies and laughter and sweet memories. May angels carry you to your eternal rest.   
 

8 comments

Chatty Crone said...

Can you send me your address again - my computer died about 5 weeks ago and I am reconstructing it now.
I loved Doris Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plus thanks for your comment - yes things are really changing here.
Love, sandie
skcz@comcast.net

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Doris Day lived a very long life, but those of a certain age were all sad when they heard of her passing. I loved all her movies.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I've always been a fan!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

She certainly brought a lot of joy to others with her movies and singing as well as some wonderful memories too. May she rest in peace.

Jenna H. said...

Such a sweet post!
-Jenna ♥
Stay in touch? The Chic Cupcake

Mevely317 said...

I adored Doris Day. Yours is such a lovely tribute.
And now, Tim Conway. My childhood is disappearing a little more every day.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Yes, I think a lot of us have been singing "Que Sera, Sera' this week ...and making the bed like she did in that movie, plumping the pillows! Lovely tribute Buttercup.
Wren x

TARYTERRE said...

a life well lived. sad to say goodbye.