Powered by Blogger.

The Recovery Chronicles, Part I

My new buddy, Chilly. Just the perfect friend to spend time with while I am icing. 
 
It is now Day 9 into my recovery following hip replacement surgery. I'm calculating recovery began one day past the actual surgery last Monday. I am hopeful that the Recovery Chronicles will be short-lived and sometime next week I may start to make forays out of my apartment. I did venture out yesterday and walked two blocks with my physical therapist. I am being prudent and not attempting to do more than my therapist recommends. 
 
Like every experience, this one has been filled with life lessons. I thought I was well prepared for this surgery and, in many ways, I was. In other ways I was totally adrift.
 
Among my lessons:
 
Once again I learned that ice is my best friend. Keeping my ice packs frozen is my new career.
 
My reacher -- which I will feature in a post tomorrow -- is another new friend. I have gotten proficient in picking up the infinite number of things I drop on the floor. Of course when I drop the reacher on the floor...
 
The compression machine -- also to be featured in tomorrow's post -- is a miracle invention. It massages my legs and cuts down the possibility of a blood clot. I need to wear it 23 hours/day for two weeks post surgery. Using it means I don't need to take blood thinners, but it is cumbersome. I also forget I am attached to it and at least once a day, it falls to the floor. Six more days!
 
Titanium -- my new hip material -- weighs more than bone. My next Weight Watchers weigh-in may not be pretty. 
 
Do not google "pulmonary embolism" when I can't sleep. Actually, do not google anything medical when I can't sleep. This is a good rule for any night, not just following surgery. 
 
I've got terrific friends. Cards, phone calls, texts, food, gifts, visits and wonderful thoughtfulness, including my new friend, Chilly, who came from Tennessee.      
 
 
As the saying goes, this is not my first (recovery) rodeo, or even my second. Through the years I've learned good lessons about patience and the necessity of physical therapy and listening to my body. But I've once again learned that there are always more lessons to learn. I'm doing well and each day have a little more energy. Thank you all for your good wishes!
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.
 
 

8 comments

Terra said...

Carol, your spirits are good, and that helps with recovery I am sure. I had not heard of the compression machine and will learn more when you post about it. Be well

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Hang in there, girl...and tell them about the extra weight at WW haha ♥

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's great to hear from you and know you are coping...and healing! Take care and get better soon! Hope you have lots of new books to read...I'm sure you do! Hugs, Diane

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

PT is amazing and will bring you back to the person you were. I am glad to read you are doing well and have even walked outside. That is terrific, Carol. PT is amazing and you back to your old self quickly.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Recovery is sometimes a slow process, but it sound so great that you were able to get out and take a short walk yesterday. Listening to your therapist is good advice. Many want to rush things and then suffer for it. I'm glad you are sharing your experience. I used to have one of those reacher things, called a grabber and I loved it. Not only for things down on the floor, but for up high in the cupboards too. Mine broke as the grandchildren loved to play with it, and so far I haven't found a new one, but I surely do miss it. Take care and get better soon. Every day will be a new adventure!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You're doing great Carol! Good for you! My husband went back to work at 10 weeks post surgery, and now thinks he should have waited two more weeks. It takes time to fully recover. It was 6 months post surgery, when he came in and stated that for the first time ever he didn't have pain when he walked across the horse pasture! He was surprised after surgery that he still had pain, but it wasn't joint pain. It was the pain of getting muscles strengthened and used properly again.

You will get there, and by summer you'll be walking all over NYC!

Theresa said...

You are doing great! Just keep on keepin' on! You'll be all better soon! HUGS

TARYTERRE said...

it takes time to recover. it sounds like you are on your way.