Powered by Blogger.

G Is for Grand Central

This is a slow day at a slow time at Grand Central.
 
Grand Central, on the east side of Manhattan, is one of my favorite stations. It has a rich history, beautiful architecture, one of my favorite places to get a snack and is home to my optician. I've never counted how many times I've been there, but in the 40+ years I've lived in New York, I've easily been there at least 100 times a year. I've seen it in its sadder and seedier days in the 1970s and 1980s and I continue to be delighted with the beautiful renovation that was completed in 1998.
 
  An exterior view of Grand Central. The "Pan Am" (now MetLife) building is in the background and the Chrysler Building is on the right.
 
In 1854 steam engines -- and their smoke and fumes -- were banned from Manhattan below 42nd St. The railroads of the time in the area cooperated to open a depot at East 42nd St. As train traffic grew the building was renovated (in 1901) and a new building opened in 1913. The building went from a depot in 1871 to a station in 1901 and finally Grand Central Terminal in 1913. During the 1960s designs were proposed to tear down Grand Central and replace it with an office building. After opposition to its destruction the Supreme Court upheld landmark status. The building was saved, but its condition after years of neglect was sad and shabby. 
 
 
Ultimately ownership passed to Metro-North -- the commuter railroad for Westchester County and Connecticut. Repair work began to stop the deterioration. In the 1990s an ambitious renovation project took place bringing back the beauty of Grand Central. 
 
I was at Grand Central today and was delighted to find this beautiful couple
 posing for wedding pictures.   
 
 
I've been somewhat remiss in food and coffee suggestions during this series, but I'm making sure to include Great Northern Food Hall at Grand Central. Yes, it's a food court, but with some of the very best choices. It offers food choices of the Nordic countries, with a focus on local ingredients. I'm a fan of the coffee at Brownsville Roasters, one of the vendors in the Hall, where this yummy picture was taken there. There are a variety of stands with flat breads, sandwiches, sweets and salads. 

I hope you've enjoyed our visit to Grand Central. I'm linking up with my friends at Pink Saturday, another one of my favorite places. My hint for H is a visit to one of the newest neighborhoods in Manhattan and one of the newest stations. Any guesses?

As ever, thanks for visiting. See you again soon!  

8 comments

Denise said...

I so enjoyed wandering around that building on one of my visits. Thanks for sharing.

Susie said...

Carol, I love this place too. I was so eager to see it and all the activities going on , that I sure do not remember being about to see the Chrysler building. LOL. Caught up at street level , I guess. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is a lovely place. Like those wedding picture taken there I would think it would be a great venue for photos of all kinds. Lots and lots of history made there for sure. The food court and the coffee stand sound interesting too.

Anonymous said...

I have a great fondness for Grand Central. When I was a kid I rode the Metro North trains in from Connecticut to visit New York. When my parents separated and my dad moved to Manhattan my sister & I would ride in and my dad would meet us on the platform. And this was back in the scary early 80s. I'm also pleased with how well the restoration has gone since then.

My guess for the H post is "Hudson Yards."

Dee said...

Dear Carol, thanks for the visit at Grand Central. I was in it once, back in August of 1957. That was between my junior and senior years in college and I was in New York for a meeting of college student body presidents. A friend took me down stairs and we sat and watched travelers racing for their trains. I was homesick and he kept up a running commentary, giving each traveler a name and destination and some background. I think that was one of the experience that led to me wanting to write, especially narratives and novels.

I follow about 70 blogs and visit each one only once a week--yours is a Tuesday visit. So I've missed all the stations between last Tuesday and this one. But I am so enjoying your A-Z topic. I love to learn and you are doing wonderful research. Right now I'm researching for a novel that takes place in 1st century CE win Palestine. Now that the memoir is published, I want to finish the novel! Oh what a wonderful life.

Peace.

TARYTERRE said...

interesting sight to be sure. lovely place for wedding pics.

Marcy said...

I loved visiting Grand Central Station! So much to see and do there!

JazzFeathers said...

Hi there. Sorry I disappeared lately, but the last couple of weeks had been really a challenge for me. I'm now trying to catch up with all the blog :-)

Thsi is such a beautiful spot. It's hard to imagine that someone would want to tear it down. Hard also to imagine it as a degrade place, so beautiful it looks today.