Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Goes to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

 
Before the Elf is on the Shelf

For the last twenty five years I've wanted to see the balloons in the parade before and while they're being inflated. I live less than a mile away, but in the past work, cooking, cold and snow or simply inertia have kept me away. I decided that this year would be different. I had done my cooking, I don't work anymore and though cold, it was clear. I stopped by on Wednesday night and the balloons were "closed" for security concerns. But Thanksgiving morning I was up and out after 7:00 a.m. and finally I was able to see the balloons before the parade began. 

One of my reasons for making this balloon excursion was to take photographs to use in a blog post. I did a post with one picture on Thanksgiving Day and then the novelty of the Christmas decorations pushed Thanksgiving out of my mind. When I saw the poster below in a subway station this week, I realized I'd was time to do my Macy's Parade post and what better time than Pink Saturday!

 
 

 
The balloon lineup on West 77th Street, shown with their handlers. Each balloon has a group of "handlers," who are trained to keep the balloons from going astray.  

 

Besides the handlers, there are hundreds of clowns -- not a bit scary -- who walk alongside the balloons and add to the fun. The Half-Baked Holiday Clowns graciously posed for the camera. There were many cute costumes, but this group was my favorite.

It's another clear night in New York City. After this post is completed I'm off to visit one of my favorite holiday sights. I'll leave the destination for a surprise, but I definitely need pictures at night.

Thanks for all of the get well wishes. My cold is better and there's only a cough or two now and then. I think/hope I will be ready for the gym on Monday.

Please be sure to stop by and visit Pink Saturday. It's always a fun visit and this week one of my photographs is being featured. Thanks, Beverly!

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great rest of the weekend.

 

9 comments

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How amazing! One of the many nice things about living in the city! Enjoy your weekend!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

These are great pictures, Carol!

Linda said...

Oh what fun!!! Safe travels, Buttercup. (waving to Pepe). smiles

It's me said...

It's the most wonderful time of the year......love Ria x ❤️

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So nice to see the parade from your eyes. Up close and personal! It's an exciting sight for sure. Seeing the parade on TV doesn't come close!

Anne Payne said...

Oh fun! My niece was at the parade for the first time this year. Said it was thrilling.

TARYTERRE said...

how much fun is that to see the balloons before they're inflated and flying high.

Melinda said...

So fun!
Love the parade.

M : )

Tristan Robin said...

How fun to see the balloons before they're aloft!

Love the half-baked costumes - LOL - very clever. Remind me a little of the "Willy Wonka" costumes on Broadway.

Your story about never finding time to see something close to you in New York is all too familiar to me. I lived in New York for 25 years - and I've STILL never seen the Statue of Liberty, nor been to the top of the Empire State Building LOL. I would probably have never seen the Chrysler Building if a visiting guest hadn't INSISTED that we go see it. LOL

Thanks for sharing your day - and, belatedly, happy Pink Saturday!