Powered by Blogger.

The Caring Kind Walk


My new buddy, Patches, dressed for the doggy costume contest and looking sharp.
 
For the second year in a row I've been part of a team -- the Wednesday Walkers -- for the Caring Kind Manhattan walk. Caring Kind is a fabulous organization that supports those who are caregivers for people with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. We were a small team this year, but we raised over $700. for this very worthwhile cause.    


The beginning of the walk at Riverside Park, along the Hudson River
 
I became involved in the work of Caring Kind after agreeing to do a walk with my friend, Helen. This was over two years ago and I was barely walking two miles a day. I had had surgery for a spinal cord tumor two years before and my walking was still limited. The idea of the New York City Marathon or even a ten mile walk wasn't feasible. I needed a short walk -- Caring Kind is two miles on a mostly flat surface -- for a cause I believed in. I entered "walks 2016 Manhattan" into a search engine and I found my answer. My walking has improved significantly in the last two years, but I am happy to keep walking for this organization.  


The Wednesday Walkers at the end of our walk. 


There were several well-known personalities and here is Mary Ann with retired hockey star and present day television hockey analyst, Ron Duguay. He couldn't have been nicer and meeting him was an added fun note to the day.
 
We walked a month ago, but I've got several posts from past events that I will be publishing -- including more photographs from Iceland -- in the next week. Once Thanksgiving comes around I will be featuring holiday décor in New York City. I will also be doing several giveaways and once again showcasing the talent of friends with Buttercup's Fair. Please stop by often, we're going to have a lot of fun.   
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!
 

11 comments

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Flat ground makes all the difference. Congratulations to you and your friend for doing this and making money for such a worthy cause.

Chatty Crone said...

I don't know if I missed it, but how long was the walk? That was awesome of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TARYTERRE said...

what a lovely way to raise money. congrats on completing the walk. interesting people to meet along the way.

TARYTERRE said...

what a cute pup.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Being able to do what you love and help others is a blessing! You have a lot to see and do there where you live and waling like you do lets you see it more up close and personal and I'm grateful for all the pictures you share. Lots are starting to put up holiday decorations around here while the weather is still nice. Can't wait to see yours !

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

What a worthy cause and I applaud you for doing this every year.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Patches is a real Dapper Dan in his tux! Great idea to support the caregivers. Caregiving is hard. And often times is hardest when we care the most.

Susie said...

Carol, I am so happy you walk with some of your wonderful friends. That makes it even fun when getting exercise. Blessings to all of you, xoxo, Susie

Dee said...

Dear Carol, I've been away from blogging for about two months and it's good to return and find your blog again. You always post about such interesting events and places and your life seems chuck full of adventure. The walk is truly worthwhile.

Like you I had a spine operation--mine was this past March. It was for the four bulging disks of the lumbar area. I'm still not doing much walking, but gradually that will, I trust, improve.

I look forward to your holiday postings! Peace.

Little Wandering Wren said...

You sound like me, I have officially retired from running until I find a worthy cause then I'm inspired to join in. I would support Caring Kind too. I think Patches and the Crazy Poodle would have a lot of fun together!
Wren x

Mimi said...

What a wonderfully worthy cause! Having been one of those caregivers, I thank you.
And I'm looking forward to the holiday tour. Way out in the country where we live, we don't see too many lights. So I'll just enjoy yours!