Powered by Blogger.

Blogger's Block or Not Blogger's Block...

That is the question, though it's actually not much of a question. I've put together photos for two posts and I've sat down at the computer five or six times and stared blankly at the screen. They're good posts -- or at least may be good posts -- if  I can come up with the words to go with the photographs. I've gone blank any number of times, but this may be a new record.  
 
The Music Hall, Tarrytown, NY in Waterlogue
 
I thought about when I first started writing and my first memory of any composition that was longer than a sentence or two was a book report in the fourth grade. There have probably been hundreds of times since then -- I wrote a lot during my working years -- when the words did not come quickly, but I can't remember a time when I actually sat down at the typewriter/computer/with a pen when I didn't compose something. This has been my longest stretch in my memory in over fifty years.
 
I decided to write about not being able to write instead of trying and trying on the posts, and finally there are words marching across the screen. My question to my blogging/writing friends is how do you keep the words coming? I tip my pen to my blogging friends who post every day. Do you have any inspiration or suggestions you can share with the rest of us who sometimes stumble to find words?
 
It's been a good and busy week. The photograph of a vintage theater in Tarrytown NY was taken during a visit this week. I had the pleasure of meeting two of my colleagues for lunch and window shopping in this lovely town in Westchester, just north of New York City.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting. Take good care and wishes for a great weekend!
 


10 comments

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Carol the only adivce I can give you is what I've read over and over in other places as the how to have a successful blog, and that is to "use your own voice." So I guess that means a conversational tone, as if you are talking to an old friend. So you could describe a typical day in your life, or an activity you attend or a corner of Manhatten that is special to you. If you search online you will even find blogging writing prompts that are helpful. Good luck!

Chatty Crone said...

I agree with {at - I have lost words and I have had too many words. Just be yourself and write what you want when you want. sandie

Denise said...

I find myself blogging less and less and posting more pics. After nearly eight years of this I think I am ready to throw in the towel. No way could I find time to blog on a daily basis. I'm retired and not interested in anything that resembles a job unless it is playing with the grandkids.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Don't they say a picture is worth a thousand words? I can hear the music coming out those doors of that old music hall.

Theresa said...

Beautiful picture:). I just use my blog as my daily journal. My family checks in on it every day. Not every day has exciting news but I blog anyway😊 Enjoy your day dear friend. Sometimes a break helps.

TARYTERRE said...

i too can hear that music coming through the rafters. words aren't needed.

krishna said...

Lovely pictures. I also sometimes struggle with word flows. But sometimes words come like surge. One thing I noticed that when I read a lot, I can write a lot...

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Susie said...

Buttercup, My granddaughter, Savannah , just got home yesterday from NYC. I wish she could have met you. Her choir class and chaperones were there for 4 whole days. They did the NYC tour, seeing the NBC studios, Empire State Building, Radio City music hall. They went to see Stomp and Wicked while there. Hope you get over your writer's block. We love seeing what you see in your city. For people who have never been or ever will go there, it helps us see the city. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I've definitely been there, Carol ---and almost gave up completely a couple of times.... BUT--I've found that by blogging only once a week, it's easier for me and I am enjoying it more now....

I still enjoy Facebook almost more now since it is so easy/simple --and I can post up-to-date stuff easily.... BUT---blogging gives me a chance to give more details --so I love that also...

Hugs,
Betsy

Janet said...

I think my biggest issue is time. I have lots to say and pictures to go with it but I need to make the time to post it all! I am trying to find a balance now between working outside the home for the first time in 17 years, continuing with my home based transcription business and finding time to do my crafting to sell online and at craft fairs. I was just looking at my posting for this year and I have done almost as much as last year but I need to finish with a big November and December. I do agree, though, that the posts don't necessarily have to be long and sometimes just a picture will do it.