Powered by Blogger.

Walking through Art of the Twentieth Century

 
The Calder mobile welcomes visitors to the Guggenheim Museum
 
I wasn't an art history major in college. My only art history class was a sweeping survey class that in one semester made a good attempt to cover all of Western Art History. As much as I loved art history I became totally overwhelmed memorizing the floor plans of thirty cathedrals and didn't take another art history class in college. Not surprisingly I don't remember learning much about the twentieth century or even getting to Impressionism. I've taken a number of lecture classes since moving to New York, but there are many areas where I have tremendous gaps.

I spent yesterday morning filling in some of those gaps, and what a perfect way to spend a rainy Tuesday morning or any time. My friend, Nancy, and I have spent a number of afternoons in museums this summer and thankfully, Nancy has a keen eye for the museum calendar. She realized this exhibit on the history of the collection at the Guggenheim Museum is scheduled to close next week and we quickly set up a time to visit. It wasn't a quick museum visit, but rather a fabulous overview of the history of art of the first half of the twentieth century. My only regret is that I didn't get there sooner and may not get a chance to go back before it closes.    

"Painting is by nature a luminous language"
 
Robert Delaunay is one painter that I wasn't familiar with and after seeing several of his paintings in the exhibit, I am officially a major admirer. This is "Circular Forms," originally inspired by observations of the planets and stars. 


I've been an Alexander Calder admirer for years and I enjoyed both the mobile and the reflection.

If you're in New York, you've got slightly less than a week to visit this extraordinary exhibit. Fortunately we can all enjoy the museum website and visit as often as we'd like.

We got the first feeling of autumn yesterday. It was rainy and jacket weather. Today we were back to summer, but the morning still had just a twinge of a chill. I enjoyed my regular Wednesday schedule -- Weight Watchers, lunch at the diner in the neighborhood and yoga. I spent the evening catching up with my friend, K, and my next destination is the New York Times crossword puzzle.

My heart continues to break for Houston and all of Texas and the Gulf. I can't say I know how you feel, but I do know how it feels to have your city devastated by a hurricane. My continuing prayers.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.

 

4 comments

TARYTERRE said...

i have always been a fan of Calder. but i must admit i like the painting of Delaunay too. I thought planets before you said it. like you i am saddened by the events i texas. i encourage people to send money via the red cross to help the victims.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love walking through museums. So much to see and learn. There has been a touch of fall in our air too. Harbingers of days to come.

Susie said...

Carol, I love almost all art. I have seen some wonderful art in Chicago's art museum and the Getty museum in LA. Wonderful . I would go everyday if I lived near by...just to learn for being there. Oh yes, I was a member of the Indianapolis museum of art. Paying so much a year and getting tickets to showings. Blessings to you. I envy your good strong feet. xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

Okay you girls are way over my head in the arts department - but I do like looking!