Powered by Blogger.

Attention KMart Shoppers, We Have an Urgent Announcement from the Buttercupland Department of Public Safety


This is the place where this old dog relearned an old trick yesterday, and  just when I thought there weren't any tricks to (re)learn. 
 
Yesterday afternoon I went to KMart to look for t-shirts and a pair of shorts. And yes, Ms. Fancy-Pants New Yorker is a KMart shopper. It was a humid day and the KMart air conditioning was barely on. I was kind of sweaty -- no subway air conditioning -- and I got stuck in the first t-shirt I tried on. Stuck, and the variety of stuck where I thought I'd have to buy the shirt and cut it off at home. I felt as though I was wrapped in plastic wrap and the more I wriggled and twisted, the tighter the shirt became. Finally I was able to get one arm out and then the other arm and without trying on a second thing I got dressed and left K-Mart, seeking air conditioned refuge across the street at Macy's. 
 
I've been stuck in dressing room disasters before -- a few bathing suit incidents come to mind -- but this felt the most desperate. I'm less agile and it wasn't pretty. And no, there are no photos to chuckle at after the fact. Of course this entire episode could have been avoided if I had heeded the Buttercupland Department of Public Safety Summer Alert. Simply put, it addressed the issue of shopping on humid days and wisely concludes, don't. I've learned my lesson and as an officer of Buttercupland, dear friends, I'm giving you the same advice, do not shop for clothing on humid days ever! The embarrassment you save will be your own.
 
I'm sort of chuckling about it now, but if I had to go home in the KMart t-shirt, with the tags hanging down my back, I'm not sure I'd be chuckling.  
 
Today's lesson -- learned for the zillionth time -- is bring an umbrella when there are thunder storm warnings.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and travel with your umbrella.    

14 comments

Paula said...

Oh my goodness. This must be one of the reasons why I never try clothes on in the store. I just take them home and hope for the best. Most of the time I keep them. I miss K-Mart. Ours closed earlier this year!

TARYTERRE said...

Your Public Safety Summer Alert has been noted. i will avoid shopping on humid days at all costs to avoid a similar dilema. To save money KMART must have cut back on the air conditioning. ours closed permanently.

Linda said...

That my friend, is the best advice, giggling...no shoes shopping either on humid days. Have a beautiful day friend..."pea soup" weather here in western NY.

From the Kitchen said...

Been there! Humidity makes my hair curl and my clothes stick. On the positive side, it plumps out my wrinkles!!

Best,
Bonnie

Lonni said...

Totally the best reminder-ever for shopping in humidity!
LOLOL

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Not funny but you have to laugh at that one ! Sadly our Kmart has closed here and I miss it. Reasonable prices for the most part and they have everything! Take care in the hot and humid weather.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have had more problems with zippers than sweat but I feel your pain. KMart, I am sure, had no employees around the dressing room to help you and the more you stressed, the more you were stuck. It must have been such a relief to leave the store.

Jane Housewright said...

Thanks for the "been there" chuckle!

Theresa said...

Oh honey, that made me laugh out loud:) I have been there too AND I will shop anywhere (even K-mart) but prefer air conditioning! Have a blessed and dry day, HUGS!

Lynda said...

This was not a funny thing to happen but it was funny to read the way you wrote it!
Our K-Mart closed here. End of an era for us.

Pam said...

Oh, I feel your pain, Carol! Glad it turned out OK for you!!! I recently did the same thing when trying on a dressy blouse. It was like glued to me and I struggled and struggled to get it off and almost had a panic attack or whatever. Kind of scary for you and I will be careful when trying on clothes again when it's hot and humid. I was at Dress Barn. I'm chuckling now too! Take care

Dee said...

Dear Carol, I am a fan of extra large sizes. I suppose I wear a large of most t-shirts, maybe even a medium at times, but I like really loose clothing. So I wear extra-large and it's like a tunic!!! Suits me fine! So I'm not sure what humid weather would do if I tried one on in a store. Mostly I order them online from the Southwest Indian Foundation. Good luck with the umbrella! Peace.

Susie said...

Buttercup, You have certainly been busy. All the book signings, the theater also. Love all that. I love David Hyde Pierce. I wish he would do more movie roles. Kmart....my mother worked for them for 30 years. We have all worn some kmart things. LOL. I hate trying on clothes ...ever. My daughters tell me I could wear smaller sizes...but I am not into those snug things. A.C. has truly ruined us. I used to live without it and not complain...but any more I hate being over heated. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Oh, my gosh! What a mess. Parallel shopping rule: if one must shop in humid weather, bring a partner to the dressing room. Wet/damp clothes the right size are hard enough to get off. Grab hold of a skimpy cut bargain and the near impossible begins. Glad you lived to tell about it!
Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉