Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Goes to Paradise Bay, Antarctica


The view from the ship's deck of Paradise Bay, Antarctica

We've crossed the Drake Passage, and left South America behind. On to Antarctica!
 
 
When I hear the words, Paradise Bay aka Paradise Harbor, I think of a tropical island with warm sand and drinks with little umbrellas. The reality is very different. If I posted a picture of myself with Paradise Bay as my background, I would be wearing a knitted wool cap, winter coat and turtleneck sweater. Hot coffee -- not a margarita -- was my beverage of choice.

I took dozens -- perhaps hundreds of pictures -- and since I've been home I've gone through them a number of times. My goal was to choose "the best" pictures of Antarctica. I've realized the best is elusive and I chose four that I liked very much that reflected the scenery I saw.

We saw many icebergs, which are abundant in Antarctica and the waters around Newfoundland. We sailed with an ice pilot to assist the navigational staff of the ship. This is someone with extensive experience in sailing in waters that are especially treacherous because of icebergs.

We had an extraordinarily clear day and were fortunate to have sunshine some of the time. 
 
This is a closer view of the ice and snow covered mountains.
 
I'm still in awe that I was able to view these sights in person. One of my friends wrote of my good fortune to do this trip in luxury, while so many who had sailed here did so with great privation. I am profoundly aware that this is a gift not available to many and I am deeply grateful for the opportunity. I am happy to be able to share it with Pink Saturday  and my Buttercupland friends.
 
We're looking at a blizzard -- at least a foot of snow -- in the next few days. It won't be Antarctica, but I'm planning to keep cozy at home for most of the week. I'm going to run a few errands tomorrow and make a quick run to the grocery, too. Then it's coffee, books and blogging, which sounds really good to me. 
 
As ever, thanks for visiting. Take good care and keep cozy.  

 

9 comments

TARYTERRE said...

Whittling down your stack of photos to just 4 is amazing. By far my favorite are the icebergs and the up close view of the mountains. Just spectacular views of the area. So picturesque. You must pinch yourself to realize you were there up close, in person. A wonderful vacation, for sure.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Oh my gosh, what an awesome adventure you had.

Mevely317 said...

You've such a great eye for composition, Carol! Given our 90-degree forecast, I could sit and stare at these all day. :)

Little Wandering Wren said...

You have done really well to narrow your photos down to a special few - it is always something I intend to do but somehow never achieve. What a spectacular trip, amazing pics. You are indeed very lucky to have been there and clearly, you appreciate this. Icebergs in Antarctica is on my bucket list, sooner rather than later with my new sweaty betty Bangkok life!!
Have a great week
Wren x

Paula said...

Beautiful pictures. I don't know if I could find myself wanting to go on a cruise where I had to wear a hat and coat but this is certainly interesting to read about!!

Melinda said...

Great pics!
Stay safe with your weather coming in.
Snuggle down.

M : )

Susie said...

Carol, You have truly seen some amazing sights on all your trips about the world. Hope you are doing well. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Terra said...

The scenes of ice and snow and sea are heavenly in their beauty. Your post reminds me of my favorite series of books (by Patrick O'Brian) which depict many dangerous sea passages in 1800 in that area. So many ships did not make it. Your cruise sounds fabulous.

Devilish Angel said...

Cool pics Carol...