Powered by Blogger.

Cape Horn: Where Geography Class Comes to Life

 
It's sunrise at Cape Horn.
 
We're at the north edge of the Drake Passage, the strait between South America and Antarctica. It's the place where the southwestern part of the Atlantic Ocean meets the southeastern part of the Pacific Ocean. I'm up before 6:00 a.m. I don't have a selfie to share, though a few exist. I jumped into the clothes I put out the night before, combed my wild-looking hair and plunked on a hat. I was not missing a minute of Cape Horn. I loved Geography in elementary school, though so much that I was taught has slipped into the back recess of my mind. This trip, however, brought it all back.
The sun has risen --  happily it's a clear day -- and you can see the very faint tint of pink in the sky.  It's also a very calm day at sea. I was warned by everyone I know who had sailed the Drake Passage, that I needed to get set for rough waters. This was one of the reasons I chose to make the trip in a very large cruise ship. But the strait that is known for being especially hazardous to sailors for centuries -- strong waves, currents, winds and icebergs -- was calm the day I sailed it. It was part of the Clipper Route, where clipper ships sailed with cargo around the world. 

This is our my farewell to Cape Horn as we leave for Antarctica. 
 

There is a monument to the many sailors who were lost in the waters around Cape Horn at San Leo Cove, Isla de Hornos, Chile. The Albatross Monument, built with international cooperation,  pays tribute to their bravery and lets them know they are not forgotten. This is an excerpt from the Memorial.

It wasn't all geography during our days at sea. There were lectures -- fabulous -- shows, new friends and yes, food. Every day had a different theme and one of my favorites was pie day at the lunch buffet. The top slice is key lime and apricot is next to it. The slice at the bottom is pear and nutella and though I enjoyed the first two, the pear and nutella was my favorite.  It took every ounce of willpower not to go back for a second slice.

I'm settling back into my routine at home. I've missed my yoga classes and gym sessions because of my broken shoulder. Happily, though the bone has healed and my doctor has cleared me to return to yoga. I also start physical therapy the week after next. I'm not especially looking forward to it, but I know it's necessary to get back my range of motion and strength in my arm.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!
 

9 comments

Terra said...

I am enjoying traveling with you via these blog posts. The Cape and all points south and on the high seas resonate with me as my favorite historical fiction series is Patrick O'Brian's series which begins with Master and Commander. Rough and dangerous sailing in those days of 1805, etc. Hope your shoulder heals quickly.

TARYTERRE said...

I have so enjoyed your trip and posts about this part of the world. Interesting and fascinating. Also those pies look worth the cost of passage. YUM!

TARYTERRE said...

PS) Glad to hear your shoulder is healing well. My back fortunately wasn't fractured. Just muscle spasms since the fall causing my troubles. Yoga should be comforting to help you move forward.

Jane Housewright said...

What an experience, Carol.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your photos very much, Carol. Thankful that your shoulder has healed and you can resume your routine.

Theresa said...

Oh dear, what beauty awaits us on this Earth! So happy that you got to view these sites and happy that I get to see them in your photos! Have a blessed day dear Carol, HUGS!

Mevely317 said...

'Have to confess, Geography was not a favorite of mine ... but your adventure had me running to Google maps (on more than one occasion)!
That memorial verse is so lovely; lump-in-throat material, for sure.

Prayers for your sound and swift healing!

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Oh, this is so cool! You can now start stories with, "When I sailed around the Horn..." There aren't many you meet each day that can say that!
Barbara from Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Amazing to think of being at Cape Horn and the end of South America! To think of all the voyages that took place there before the Panama Canal was built.

I'm glad you are healing well and I hope PT will give your full range of motion back, Carol. Be careful in next week's snow I heard was headed your way. Send snow here--we had fires in our area last night and desperately need the moisture!