Powered by Blogger.

Monday on the Subway with Buttercup



After four billion dollars -- yes, you read that correctly -- and decades of planning and work, the Second Avenue Subway opened for riders on New Year's Day. I didn't make it on January 1, but I did get to see the newest wonder of the New York world yesterday. And a wonder it was. There are four stations and I -- and what seemed like most of New York -- visited two of them.
 

I entered at Seventy Second Street and descended a very long escalator into the most beautiful landscape. Everything was perfect and new and as of yesterday afternoon, immaculate. It was still a holiday for most working people and the usual crush of commuters wasn't there. Instead it was all tourists, whether we were from New York or from countries thousands of miles away.   
 

 
This is the mezzanine level of the station. One hallmark of the new stations are fabulous art work and I felt I was at a gallery and not in the subway. There were lots of people strolling, not unlike the Parisians enjoying their Sunday afternoon of leisure in George Seurat's Sunday in the Park with George. But instead of parasols and summer dresses we wore our winter coats and carried telephones and selfie sticks.

The murals at Seventy Second Street were done by Vik Muniz, a Brazilian artist who works in Rio and New York City. His tile figures,"Perfect Strangers," depict thirty-six New Yorkers, random, diverse and fascinating. I know I will be back with camera to capture them. 

It was a great afternoon to stroll the art museum created by the MTA New York City Transit designers. As a note of disclosure: I spent almost twenty years working for the agency and a colleague/friend coordinated the art work.
 
The Eighty Sixth Street station featured work by the American artist, Chuck Close. His work features large photo based portraits and the size and scale of the subway station made a perfect setting for his array of New Yorkers. 

I'm still enraptured with the Waterlogue app and I turned a moment on the subway platform into a watercolor painting.

It seems impossible that we are three days into 2017. Wasn't New Year's eve just a blink ago? I'm getting back into my routine. I've been to yoga, run errands and signed up for several programs I've been planning to do. I'm also looking at travel for this year and I'm researching and enjoying learning about places I have in mind. These will all be the subject of blog posts later this month.

Tomorrow I'm back to Weight Watchers. It's going to rough giving up my holiday fun. I didn't go totally off the healthy eating wagon, but there were a lot more cookies in the last few weeks than there had been in the last few months. But those were treats and now it's time for veggies and more veggies, which are all waiting in my refrigerator.

As ever, thanks for traveling the Second Avenue subway with me. Keep cozy and take good care!
 

6 comments

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the pictures very much. We are trying to eat right again after the holidays, too. We've had a lot of rain for two days and winter weather, which usually means ice accumulation for us, is on its way for the weekend.
Hope you have a restful evening.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Oh how wonderful! I hope to make it back to NYC one of these years.

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this. Happy New Year!

West said...

You make me want to take a trip into the city just to take the subway!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've never been on a subway, but what an adventure it must be. I really enjoyed all the pictures. May all your New Year wishes come true!

TARYTERRE said...

That is a beautiful. I was on an elevated train once and it was the scariest thing I ever did, almost got caught in the doors and so did my daughter. But if you know what you're doing the subway looks like part of a great adventure.