Powered by Blogger.

Return to Exile


I am a great fan of historical fiction. More often than not there is at least one book that takes place in a historical setting on my night table, and generally it takes place somewhere in England or Scotland. If I see "Tudor" in a title the book moves up to the top of my reading list. But thanks to the Litfuse Publicity Group, I've moved out of my very familiar eras and entered the world of ancient Carthage.

I very much enjoyed Lynne Gentry's "Return to Exile." The second book in the Carthage Chronicles, we enter the world of Dr. Lisbeth Hastings, a modern epidemiologist, who finds herself in ancient Carthage. My knowledge of the era goes far back to eighth-grade Ancient History, but I was glad to return with Lisbeth, her true love, third century Cyprian, and members of the early Christian Church of Carthage. Lisbeth returns to Carthage via time travel and it's a fascinating journey. "Return to Exile" is the second in the trilogy and I am eager to read the third volume, "Valley of Decision," scheduled for publication in September.

I'm still a fan of novels set in Tudor times, but I'm also reminded that it's fun to venture to other times and places. I've also become a fan of Lynne Gentry's novels. I'm happy to venture to a time and place that I don't know well and become familiar with fascinating and engaging characters and events. Thanks, Lynne Gentry, for my own journey through time.

I'm off to a prayer retreat a little further north later this morning. I hope to post at least once while I'm away, but I'm unsure about the internet and phone connections. Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers during this time of prayer and reflection.

As always, take care and keep warm!    

Please note: I received a copy or "Return to Exile" in exchange for my review, but the opinions are all mine. 

12 comments

Linda said...

Thanks for the review. Stay safe--especially in this weather. Blessings

TARYTERRE said...

Time travel books are usually futuristic so this one you read looks more interesting because it's not. Stay warm. Have a safe trip . The weather outside is horrible.

Susie said...

Wishing you a great time on your retreat. Be safe. xoxo,Susie

Pondside said...

Thank you for the book recommendation. I too am a fan of historical fiction. Safe journey to your retreat!

Sola Scriptura said...

Thanks for the book review. I really enjoy historical fiction.

Deanna said...

Oh thanks for the book recommendation and I so hope you enjoy your lovely prayer retreat. It is so nice to be able to get away and focus on your faith with like souls!!

Melinda said...

These stories sound interesting!

Looks like you had a fun Valentine's
Day.

Enjoy your retreat


M : )

BLOGZOOM said...


Hi!

The story sound interesting.
Thanks for recommendation.

Cheers

Anne Payne said...

I've read a couple of time travel stories and enjoyed them. Thanks for the review! I might have to look into this one.

Are you staying warm? Ready for more snow?

Dee said...

Thanks for the review. I've been looking for the next good story to read so I'll have to check that book out. I just finished a historical romance that I really enjoyed, too. It was called, The Secret Of Pembrooke Park. If you haven't read it already, you have to check it out... :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I am also a fan of historical fiction, Carol. This sound slike a good book!


Thank you for your kind words of sympathy for the loss of my friend. I really appreciate them! Please keep her family in your payers.

Pat

Michelle said...

That's one of the perks about being a book reviewer.
I read books I would probably never read otherwise.
Through reviewing I have found I really enjoy Historical Fiction.