Powered by Blogger.

I'm Thinking of Taking a Walk on the Wild Side...

...and I'm planning to wear white pants after Labor Day. Just try and stop me.  

I had a great Labor Day weekend. One of the high points was actually an epiphany I had about my white pants. They're new, they fit well and I hated the thought of putting them away until next May. I had the realization that I could just wear them whenever I wanted. The whole white pants -- and white shoes -- issue isn't a law, though I'd treated it as one for my entire life. Over the years I've shed wearing white gloves for dress -- though that is something I miss -- and not wearing black to a wedding. Now it's time to go wild and wear white whenever I please. Running wild! I've lost control.



I did some fun things during the weekend -- seeing the incomparable Audra McDonald as Billie Holiday on Broadway and a wonderful tour at the Metropolitan Museum. We had a great guide and I have a new appreciation for Van Gogh and Rodin.

Van Gogh's painting of almond trees was one of the stops on our tour. 

I also did some more mundane things, too, and stopped at Barnes and Noble and the local hardware store. I try to shop locally whenever I can and was rewarded by this silverware chandelier at the hardware store. The first floor is more housewares than hardware, but the basement is a real hardware store, with staff that is so helpful. 

This is the light fixture over the cash register. 


I enjoyed this display at Barnes and Noble. Autumn, however, is not here in New York City. We had the hottest day of the year today and the rest of the week has the forecast of summer temperatures. The pumpkin lattes will have to wait awhile. It's still summer in New York. 

As always, thanks for visiting. Keep cool and enjoy September.   

16 comments

Sola Scriptura said...

You really made me laugh about wearing white pants after Labor Day. I think your blog post just may start a rebellion.
Van Gogh's painting of almond trees looks so amazing! I can only imagine how great it was to see in person. What incredible talent.
And whoever came up with the idea for a silverware chandelier should win an award for creativity.
We're having a sunny week here too and I've gone out on a picnic each day this week so I'm quite happy.
Take care!

TARYTERRE said...

Bet that musical was priceless. I loved Billie Holiday. Going up to 89 at week's end here, summer lingers.

The Cranky said...

I'm joining your white pants (and shorts) rebellion!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

My girls laugh at me and my hang up about not wearing white after Labor Day. Like you, this year I told myself that, yes, I can do it. When I went to the store yesterday, I slipped on my white sandals and with some trepidation went into that unknown. I lived. Tomorrow, I will wear off white pants. Who knows what other mountains I can climb after this.

Elaine Sipos said...

Hey you live in NYC, anything goes! Wear white proudly, fun to be rebellious! Audra McDonald, wow your heart must have soared listening to her sing!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's still very much like summer here too. I'm not ready for fall and we do officially have it until the 22nd. I find I'm having a hard time even thinking about it.

Kerin said...

Such a cute post!
Funny how those old habits of ours can be hard to squash .

Sounds like a fun weekend, to me.

We decorated the house and front porch with all things Fall.
It's been in the high 40's in the mornings here.... that's good enough for me, to break out the Fall décor.
{Never mind that it's been into the high 80's by mid-day... **giggle**}

GardenOfDaisies said...

LOL! Autumn doesn't begin until Sept 21 (or something like that) so you should be able to wear white til then. At the very least. Love the Van Gogh!

Nellie said...

When the temperatures are into the nineties in September, who wants to be attired in anything that isn't going to be cool? It will definitely be awhile before I break out the dark pants and stow away the sleeveless/short sleeved tops!

Love a trip to Barnes & Noble! Now you've given me something to add to my "to do" list.:-)

Sr. Ann Marie said...

I laughed when I read about wearing white pants after Labor Day. This year I got the first pair of white pants I've ever owned and was just thinking they would look nice with a red turtle neck or a dressy Christmas sweater!

Sr. Ann Marie said...

I laughed when I read about wearing white pants after Labor Day. This year I got the first pair of white pants I've ever owned and was just thinking they would look nice with a red turtle neck or a dressy Christmas sweater!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

I love wearing my white Lucky brand jeans too after Labor Day with a nice striped black and white top! Royal blue or navy goes nice too with the white! Good for you. I love the display at B & N as I was there today! The museum must of been fun too! Take care.
Julie

Susie said...

Buttercup, Thank you for showing the Van Gogh. I love seeing it. I like the autumn sign also. LOL. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Ida said...

You go girl! - I heard that fashion guy from Project Runway (can't think of his name right now) say it's perfectly okay to wear white after Labor Day.
I'm not much for wearing white any time though as I tend to spill easily when eating. Oh the Van Gogh was cool to see and I'd love to visit the Met someday and Broadway.

Deanna said...

You go girl...wear that white whenever you want. I love old hardware stores that carry more than just hardware.

Becky K. said...

It has been so hot...and humid. Yesterday was unbearable. But today will be completely different. Yay.
I've read ahead to know that you weren't alone in wearing white pants to your meeting. But it would have been ok if you had been. :-) 'Cause those rules were made to be broken.