Powered by Blogger.

Another Phrase I Never Thought I'd Say,,,

...I'm enjoying the gym. It comes as a shock to me, too. 

And on that subject, what does this...

The Y, "my gym." Never thought I'd say that so lovingly. 


...have to do with this?

I had the great good fortune of walking along these cliffs during my visit to the Shetland Islands in June

Without keeping fit, walks along the cliff and a hundred other places I'd like to go walking will only be a dream. The gym, and as much other activity as I can get, make it all possible. 

I'm no athlete. Though I rarely experienced the shame of being picked last for kickball in elementary school, no team captain smiled when I went on their team. I really tried to be athletic. I took golf lessons and had the worst swing imaginable and tennis lessons, too. There I claimed the title of worst serve in the Western Hemisphere. Luckily I lived in New York City and had to keep walking to get around, but as the years passed I never thought I could actually get fit. 

Last spring I saw a flyer at the library for a clinical trial for a fitness study for seniors. This seemed made for me. I would receive a gym membership for enrolling and would have the structure I needed to keep me motivated. I started the program last month and have been going to the gym for the last six weeks. Earlier this month, however, I was told that I wasn't a good candidate to continue in the study.  After feeling sad for about an hour I had a major awareness. I wanted to be fit and I liked going to the gym. I actually liked it a lot. Last Friday I rejoined the Y and happily found an AARP discount made it more affordable. Though, to paraphrase the MasterCard commercial, "Fitness is priceless."  

I am far from fit, but I am on the road. I signed up for a twelve week personal fitness program and will go for my orientation next week. I'm eager to learn about the machines and see what may be the most enjoyable for me. I've been using the treadmill and like watching television while I exercise. One day I may even work up the courage for Zumba Gold. There's a whole new world out there.   

Are there fitness/exercise programs that you enjoy using?

It's another glorious sunny day in New York. There's no humidity and it's sunny. Besides the gym, I did a few quick errands and enjoyed walking outside. There are pumpkins at every market and I had my first local apple of this season. My apartment is straightened up from dinner on Saturday and I'm gearing up to do some cooking later in the week. I hope your Monday is as sunny and bright. 

As always, thanks for visiting and take good care.  

10 comments

Susie said...

Good for you Buttercup. Anything we can do to keep ourselves healthy and fit is worth the effort. I know a lady who is working with a personal trainer. He has made her work her core and she has been amazed at her found strength. Much good luck with your workouts. xoxo,Susie

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, I am so happy for you. I loved seeing these photos too. We are enjoying better weather too, along with apples and pumpkins. Great to visit with you this evening. xo Mildred

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Nothing stops our Buttercup!

Walking and gardening helps keep me fit or at least fitter than I would be without it. I try to emulate my mom whose favorite saying was "keep moving" (so the buzzards won't get you).

Patty Sumner said...

You go Carol!!!! I was just sitting here telling my hubby how I need to get back to walking... I think all exercise is just a matter of just getting started...I love gardening...and working in my yard.. Of course, lots of remodeling work too.. Hang with it! We are having great weather here too. Blessings!

TARYTERRE said...

Good for you. I envy your walking. I used to walk ten miles a day, a few years ago. Now I can barely stand for 5 minutes at a time.

Anne Payne said...

You go girl!!! I have tried to stay active but it's a challenge after major foot surgery. I still have about six more months to go before my official recovery period is over. I hope to be able to do some serious walking/hiking next spring. Aging isn't easy on the body and I thoroughly agree we need to be active and move! Love your glimpses into NYC life :)

Sola Scriptura said...

When I saw your photo of Shetland I thought it had to be a picture taken near me. Beautiful!
Well done with continuing with the gym. Since recovering from my heart surgery I feel better than ever so I'm now much more active. I walk 6 to 10 miles along the beach almost every morning. I'm just too cheap to pay for a gym membership...
I hope you have a wonderful week! Take Care.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Walking is good exercise and I give you lots of credit for joining the gym.

Theresa said...

You inspire me to lace up the sneakers:) Lovely pictures! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Dee said...

DEar Carol, yours is the second blog/posting I've read today about staying fit as a senior. Both of you have me thinking about making some changes in my life. I try to walk each day but only for about 15 minutes so joining a gym makes sense. We'll see.

Thanks for sharing what you're doing. It's encouraging. Peace.