Powered by Blogger.

Very Late and Very Random 5 Friday...

...and not so very Friday! We're still on holiday break from the Random 5 linkup,  and I certainly understand taking off some time at this very busy time of year. Between lots to do and lots of events I'm tired. But I'm also having some very good times.

1) Last Thursday was the annual Mayor Koch Alum get-together, We always hold it on the Mayor's birthday, December 12, and for the last ten years or so we've been very fortunate to be able to celebrate at Gracie Mansion, the Mayor's official residence. It was a fun party, though Mayor Koch's absence was definitely sad for me. The public rooms have been beautifully refurbished and I was happy to spend a little time just enjoying the Mansion.

 
2) I had a lot of fun joining a friend for a matinee to see "Catching Fire," the second book/film in the "Hunger Games" trilogy. I've enjoyed the trilogy and liked the movie of "Catching Fire" very much. I had forgotten some of the details, but they did a great job of capturing the spirit of the book. Is anyone else a fan of "The Hunger Games?"

3) I've been trying to keep up with commenting, but I'm sometimes very frustrated with bloglovin'. I'm all set to comment and if I've entered the blog through bloglovin' the link doesn't always open. I've been using Blogger, too, and have found more success there.

4) I had a great treat on Friday. The "Downton Abbey" tea truck was only a mile away, and despite the fact it was freezing I had to make a visit. It was a very fun way to build interest in Season 4. I'm not a fan of January -- cold, dark and a letdown after holiday fun -- but Season 4 of "Downton Abbey" should definitely pep me up.


 5) I'm starting to think about my word for 2014. It just came to me and I've been mulling it over. Is anyone else thinking of their word?

I'm going to run a few errands this afternoon. It's not snowing and it's in the 40s! I hope you're enjoying the day and keeping cozy. As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care of yourself. 

9 comments

Susie said...

Carol, I love your spirit...you just went to the truck on a cold day, anyway. I would have also. I think I need a word that will totally motive me into action. I may need more than one word.LOL I'll will think on it. Stay warm and safe. xoxo,Susie

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I just watched part of a preview of season 4, and I'm looking forward to it. I have only watched it part-time. Hoping to see more this time. I would love to visit the tea truck!

I haven't read the Hunger Games books or seen the movies, but so many people seem so enthusiastic, I definitely wonder if I'm missing something I would enjoy.

TARYTERRE said...

Thank you for reminding me to pick a word for 2014.

Linda said...

Just love this post! I love the Hunger Games, Love the tea truck (can't wait for Downton to start back up!). No word yet..isn't your new mayor moving in Gracie Manor? Blessings

Lynn said...

what a great way to advertise..I'm looking forward to the next season of Downton Abbey. I've choosen a word each birthday (25 September) since I turned 34, this year's is 'finish' my projects, my unread book pile, my meditation time etc etc..., it is fun and one little word has always been a great motivator.

Paula said...

We have an annual open house at the Governor's Mansion here in Juneau. It is a fun time with hot cider, thousands of cookies, local music groups performing and an opportunity to see the Mansion all decorated for Christmas. Sadly, I missed it this year because we were in Sitka, but it is an annual event that I really enjoy!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I haven't read the books about the Hunger games but did see the 1st Movie. It sparked my interest and hope to read the books now. We have lots of snow on the ground but are blessed with sunshine today so some will melt, but no doubt more will be coming. I love Downton Abby and am looking forward to Season 4. You're right it may be one of the few good things about January.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Downton Abby has a tea truck? Oh how fun!! :-)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Wait just one doggone second; I did NOT receive the official memo about picking "one word" for 2014. I'm afraid that could pose a serious problem for me. I enjoy the sound of my own voice entirely too much. Then again, it might make writing a lot easier...