Powered by Blogger.

Ten Thoughts for 2013...Visiting Disney



For a number of years I've thought I was the last person in the United States who had neither been to Disneyland or Disney World. I did spend a day at EuroDisney in the 1990s and had a great time, but never made it back to another Disney park closer than Paris. As a little girl I was mesmerized by "The Wonderful World of Disney" on Sunday nights and loved "It's a Small World" at the 1964 World's Fair. My dream growing up was to go on my honeymoon to Disneyland. I've traveled a lot, but alas no honeymoon or trip to Disneyland.

As I've written about before, last summer I had surgery for a spinal cord tumor. I resolved to read nothing about the condition before the surgery and stuck to it, so as not to scare myself before the procedure. But afterwards I had a lot of questions and figured there was an on-line support group. I found the Facebook page for the Spinal Cord Tumor Association and what a wonderful find it was. Everyone understood exactly what I was experiencing and everyone was supportive. I found people literally all over the world for answers to my questions. It was a true gift.

In July the group will celebrate their tenth anniversary at Disney World and I will no longer be the last person in America who has yet to visit one of the parks. I'm thinking of a staying a few extra days and spending a day at Epcot or Universal. Any and all suggestions gratefully received. Any Disney fans in Buttercupland?  And yes, I'm excited just thinking about it!

We had a relatively mild day today and tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 50s. Yahoo! I am so happy in the winter for every day without snow, and every day that brings us closer to spring. Take care and have a beautiful Tuesday.

18 comments

k and c's mom said...

I just got back from a week in Orlando. We did the four Disney parks (Magic Kingdom, Disney Studios, Epcot and Animal Kingdom). We also spent time in Downtown Disney and City Walk to see Blue Man Group and Cirque du Soleil. The entire trip was wonderful! I've been two other times, but this trip was the best (and a honeymoon!)

The Cranky said...

Oh do spend time in Epcot; it's a wonderful place!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You will love Disney, at least I did. The first glimpse of the Magic Kingdom brought tears to my eyes. It is a wonderful place and lots to see. I got to go with my DIL 2 years ago as she wanted as many of us that could to join her there for her 40th birthday celebration. She provided the hotel suite and we paid for our own way there. It was one chance in a lifetime for me. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Hotel and it was a place you could spend a lot of time and not leave. There was a lot to do and see. Hope you do get to spend some extra days.

Theresa said...

I went MANY years ago when my almost 40 year old daughter was a little girl! I think I need to go back again:) Have a blessed day in your beautiful city! HUGS!

Living in the In Between said...

One of the things about blogging world is that it takes so much time to "catch up" when you find a blog that touches you. I had not "caught up" on yours to know about your spinal surgery. I'm so glad to know it went well and you will be celebrating in Disney. (En)joy, (en)joy, (en)joy! My oldest daughter and SIL just went this fall and they got in on a special for a free dining plan. They said it was wonderful and more than they could eat. Keep your eyes peeled for specials. (En)Joy!

Sr. Ann Marie said...

Just want you to know that I'm probably the last one to get to Disney World--but it's still one of my dreams. I did get to Disney Land in California about 20 years ago--just for a day. So I still have this dream of Disney World which is understand is way, way larger! I'm so glad you got there and that your surgery went well. Many blessings!

Melissa said...

I've been to Disneyland several times and got to go to Disney World last February. Epcot is lots of fun! I love all things Disney! I wish we had been able to go to Universal, so I do recommend it based on things I've heard about it. I'm so glad you're getting to make the trip.

Unknown said...

Disney World sounds like great fun, I want to go! :)

Deanna said...

Oh good for you...for recovering from surgery and for planning a trip to Disney World. I have only been there once in the 80's, and it was fun then so I know it will be fun in 2013. I have been to both Epcot and Universal. If you have to choose, I think I enjoyed Epcot more...but that is just my opinion and it has been quite awhile. And yes, I remember every Sunday night was "The Wonderful World of Disney", a good memory.

Unknown said...

Never been myself, but all my children have...now it is time for all the grands! Weather wise here... cold and rain the rest of the week, ugh!
Warmest Regards,
Loretta

Blog: http://shespoketome.blogspot.com

Nellie said...

Well, I am one of those who have never been to Disney World, and I doubt I will add that to my list. I hope you will enjoy your trip there!

I hope you are continuing to recover as expected!

Mary said...

The best to you. I thought the first time in Disney land was heavenly. Now several visits later I still like it. It does come with some art to getting in the right place.

Diane said...

I would love to go to Disney Land but my husband has no desire to see America so my chances are pretty slight. Thanks for your visit. Happy New Year Diane

Denise said...

Been to Disneyland and Disney World more than once. My boys still talk about how great Epcot was. So much to see there and enjoy. I still want to take my boys, now grown men, there for another family trip. Maybe next year. I hope you have a great time.

Susie said...

Buttercup, I am happy for you. Inside each of us ,is a little kid. Let your inner kid have a good time. xoxo,Susie

Paula said...

Enjoy your time at Disney World! What a great way to celebrate your health!

I have visited Disney Land several times, but the best was with my son when he was 10. He had such a great time and it was so fun to see him experience it all.

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Carol, thanks for commenting on my blog. We have retired about 40 minutes from Disney World. It is a very magical place and we love it. We have volunteered there for golf tournaments and are always amazed how clean and well run it is. All the suggestions above are perfect. Epcot should be seen, but once is enough. Animal Kingdom is outstanding. Either way, you will feel like a child again. Just bring good walking shoes. You will walk miles and miles. Enjoy. Susan

Lynda said...

My husband proposed to me at Disney. My daughter got to honeymoon there. She and her husband LOVE the place.