Powered by Blogger.

Ten Thoughts for 2013...Blogging



If I chose one single resolution for 2013 it would be to blog often and to blog well. Blogging has been a consistent joy in my life. It's pushed me to learn a lot; take lots of pictures, which I've thoroughly enjoyed and through it I've met some of the nicest people in my life. It's as though I'm going to a fun party when I blog. I don't know who I will meet or what the topic of conversation will be, but I know both will be (en)joyable, and life is too short to skip fun parties.

And to blog well...One of the great joys of blogging is finding a writing voice that is authentically mine. I've spent close to forty years writing either for other people's signature or in the official style of government agencies. I've written letters, brochure copy, newsletters and now, I've added copy for our agency website. It's been a wonderful opportunity and I am very grateful that I have been able to incorporate writing into my professional life. But it hasn't been my voice. Over the years my voice got lost and I've so enjoyed finding it again. I want to strengthen it and use it. It has been a gift of this blog.

Moving forward I have two specific blog intentions. I hope to do a blog redesign and appreciate any suggestions for designers that you may have worked with. The second is that I will be attending BlogHer '13 in Chicago this summer and am already looking forward to three days of all-blogging discussion. Midwestern bloggers, please think about joining me. It is a terrific time.

Several folks asked about what states I have yet to visit. They are (in no particular order) Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma and New Mexico. Anyone want company? Just kidding -- sort of!

Today was all-spy movie Saturday. I saw both "Argo" and "Skyfall." Enjoyed both very much. As a footnote, I'm a long time James Bond fan, and am so enjoying Daniel Craig as Bond.

Hope you found lots to enjoy today and that your Sunday is warm and cozy.

18 comments

Mevely317 said...

So glad to learn you enjoyed a fun afternoon/evening at the Theatre, Carol!

While not anywhere near your level of expertise, I've also been tasked with writing o/b/o others' voices/organizations. (Hence, the chameleon.) You're right ... blogging is a Gift!!!

Can't wait to read your impressions of my home state, New Mexico! Ya, I'll be happy to tag along any time!

Mimi said...

HI CAROL!!!!
I agree with you ...blogging has been a very fun interesting journey for me too.I am SAD I do not have enough time to blog, scrapbook, catch on with friends on facebook and Live a fun fulfilling life!!
I KNOW you will finish those other states soon. I think you will love New Mexico!!!
I would grab Iowa when you go to Chicago....go up to Oh man....Ulysses S grant's home town...forget the name now...but beautiful town...not that far to FIELD of DREAMS in IOWA...
Hugs,
jamie

Becky K. said...

It sounds like you have an interesting year coming up...and the best part about blogging is that in some ways we get to come too. Enjoy! I know I will.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Blogging is wonderful and I am very thankful for all the dear people I've met over the years, including you. I've learned so much and have seen so many places I'll never get to go to. Hope your Sunday is a relaxing and restful one!

Theresa said...

Blogging has introduced me to friends from all over the USA and I am SO thankful for that! Enjoy your day dear friend! I can't wait to see what 2013 holds for all of us! HUGS!

Denise said...

I so enjoy your blog. If you ever want to do a driving vacation in Michigan, let me know. We have so many beautiful places to see, I'll hardly know where to start!

Sharon said...

I sometimes forget how much we have in common including the fact that we both spent much of our careers "writing." I wrote so many manuals, articles, seminars, blah, blah, blah that is still makes my head spin sometimes. So glad that all my writing now is for my own pleasure! I love touring the US with you. Michigan was one of our greatest surprises. The UP, Mackinaw Island and the west coast through Traverse City and down is stunningly beautiful. We visited in June. You will love it when you get there.

Nancy said...

So excited for you Carol -- blogging really does open up so many opportunities. I look forward to following your adventure. :)

Deanna said...

Movie going is a favorite treat for me too and I enjoy Bond movies as well. I will have to agree, Daniel Craig does make a terrific Bond. I do believe that blogging has opened up a whole new world for me as well. I love to write, take pictures and blogging is a perfect fit for me. I will definitely look into the conference....especially since I am from Chicago (area).

Susie said...

Buttercup, You sure have been around for a young girl.:):) I need to make a list of where all I have been. When I was young, I thought I would never leave that corner where I was raised. xoxo,Susie

Unknown said...

You do blog well! So glad you're here.

Nellie said...

Well, blogging has provided the opportunity for me to "meet" you, and I have truly enjoyed that!

We have even had a small glimmer of sunshine in our Sunday. It has been awhile for that!

You would always be welcome here should you travel through here on your way to visit some of those places you haven't seen.

Simple Home said...

I've been such a poor blogger this year, but I love your ambition and dedication!
I like Daniel Craig as Bond too :)
Blessings to you in 2013!
Marcia

Sheilagh said...

I am getting back into blogging again this year after falling away for most of last year. You are a great blogger and I really enjoy every post you write.

Hugs

Sheilagh

Anonymous said...

How does one get an invite to Blogher? Just curious. I've read of many going but never did myself.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Love your background! Very nice wish I could be brave enough to change my blog around but so afraid of loosing everything. lol
I too enjoy laughing and sometimes crying with my blog buddies but I feel I have lost my voice the last six months.
I either need to get better at my blogging or maybe say goodbye but that would be very hard on me because all of you have been a big part of my life.
Think of you often and wanted to come by and wish you a Happy New Year.
Love
Maggie

Karen said...

You'll love MI when you get here-it's a really beautiful place.

I wish I only had a few states left to see-but there are a lot more I haven't seen than those I have.

C'mon, come see our beautiful state. We aren't that far away from NY, ya know. ;-)

Lynda said...

I have finally found some time to play "catch-up" so hope to get up to date on your posts today. As you can see, I have made it through my "A" Blogs and will be done with the "B's" after you! I, too, hope to have more time to blog. One day, I will learn how to change backgrounds - - but one step at a time works for me now. Thanks for the states update cuz I was curious, too.