Powered by Blogger.

Ten Thoughts for 2013...A (More) Healthy Me

When I began to put my list of ten thoughts together I purposely left out clearing clutter, losing weight, and being thrifty. These are my standbys and I wanted to think about new horizons for this year.  But interspersed with all of my goals -- blogging, traveling and seeing New York -- is having the energy to do these things and (en)joy them.

I am not as healthy as I was last year at this time. I've done well recuperating from my surgery and I'm able, on most days, to walk a mile. I was about to do another round of physical therapy before Hurricane Sandy and then got totally sidetracked. It's time to focus again on recovery. I added more walking to my day and each day that it's nice out I will try and walk a mile and a quarter. It's not huge, but it will help me build up stamina and endurance, and by the summer and my trip to Disney World, I will be much better able to enjoy my dream trip.  

My other goal is to eat healthier. I started off December sensibly and like every other year it ended in an orgy of chocolate, Pepsi and ice cream. I'm tired, chubby and know I could be feeling a lot, lot better. I'm thinking of making a radical change and giving up gluten and/or going to the paleo diet. It would involve a lot more cooking, but I've been awed by the good food featured on my buddy, Change of Pace's blog. She writes about delicious looking healthy food and has really inspired me. Has anyone made a radical change in their diet? I'd love to hear about it.

I've also been looking at Pinterest for inspiration and saw this recipe, which doesn't look like any hardship to eat.

Source: fitchicla.net via Sarah on Pinterest


Wishes for a happy, healthy evening!

12 comments

Denise said...

Carol, Thanks for the comment today. Mackinac is a favorite of mine, so anytime. As for walking, I will tell you what my surgeon suggested after my spinal surgery. Start with 15 minutes a day and add five minutes each day. Aim for one hour and as you build up stamina you will also increase your walking speed. Hope you achieve your health goals. It gets harder as we get older.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

It seems like we all fell off track in December. Mine really started in October with pumpkin spice lattes. It reached a whole new level in December with Christmas cookies and cocktail meatballs! 2013 is a fresh beautiful new year. Make this year all about you Carol! Let me know if you need any help if you decide to try paleo. You can always email me :)

Patty Sumner said...

I guess the Holidays kicks all o us in the butt...I am trying to eat healthier too. I had to sto walking this Fall...Hip all messe up... I am hoping to begin walking again soon. Blessings!

Maggid said...

You are right! This looks yummy!
Love & Love,
-g-

Nellie said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog today.

I send wishes along to you for continued return to good health!

I have eliminated High Fructose Corn Syrup from our diet. We've actually made the switch to almost all organic!

Sharon said...

A little over a year ago, I followed the 17 Day Diet and lost the 30 pounds I'd regained from my original 60 pound loss in 2006. I have remained white sugar and white flour free (virtually!!) since that time. It has made a huge difference in the way I feel, eliminated cravings and left me with a totally different body shape. I learned that all that sugar/flour was going directly to my hips and thighs. I'm trying to eliminate all processed food which would take care of the HFCS problem. NOBODY should be eating that! Good Luck!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Walking is wonderful exercise. I don't diet but try to eat a well rounded selection of foods so I get what I should have in my diet. I don't go along with radical changes at all. Some have to due to allergies and such, but I'm not one of those. I did a lot of walking at Disney, but found there are plenty of places to sit and rest a bit too. It's a wonderful place to see.

Unknown said...

I'm on a heart healthy diet which seems to have given me more energy. :)

Mevely317 said...

G'evening! The time's come, we (well, Tom) need to make some major life-style changes, beginning with our diet choices. I'm going to check-out this plan tonight.
Wishing you a most wonder-FULL weekend!
Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra

Terra said...

Walking is great exercise, I agree, and I also exercise in a warm water pool and on a recumbent bike at a health club. Your plan for more walking and healthy eating sounds good.

Denise said...

Carol, My comment should say add one minute each day to your walk and work up to one hour. I think it must have been too much party prep that messed me up, lol.

Lynda said...

I am sure you know to try and incorporate a small change in your diet and/or exercise once a week. Before you know it, you will have made MANY major changes and it wouldn't have been as difficult as doing them all at once. That's what we do. We still have a lot more changes to make - - but have 97% given up fried foods!